myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
America's Cup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
crissy east beach a parking lot for
the rich and famous.
C'mon. I went to check out the fleet racing Thu and Fri. Free to hang out on the rocks between SFYC and last chance beach or $30 or so for the bleachers, which both was like court side seats. I set up shop on the rocks. Left and right beer swilling sailing nuts sprinkled in between stroller pushing folk and tourists. As far as I could see everybody took their trash with them unlike those hordes of hipsters and/or aging frat boys that trash Dolores Park and the Marina Green every night it happens to be nice out.
I've been critical about the AC thing, but if it goes down like this week I'm a convert. As far as I can tell, any issue causing friction on the environmental/access side of things should be easily fixable.
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain that penalty to Team Korea at the end of race 7 - when it and the USA rounded the last boat - USA ended up downwind of Team Korea and Team Korea got a penalty because they were windwind and was suppose to ? give space? but how? USA came up from behind them.
damel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Oracle - S gave Korea room around the mark and then as leward boat had right of way to head them up (closer to the wind). Oracle then tried to head korea up: Korea gave way the first time but the second time they held their course towards the bottom of the finish line to try and power reach over the top. Oracle still had overlap however and was forced to point below the finish. So as windward boat Korea was supposed to keep clear of Oracle and didn't. There is a replay from the boats out there that shows it well but from the aerial shots you can't see it at all.
goinoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the race yet but have raced a ton so I think what
happened here is called an inside overlap.

http://www.sailingworld.com/experts/overlapped-or-not
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STRANGE, on Sunday, everything ended at 1:30 PM !
What, they can't handle 13-19 knots? From what I saw, there were lots more spectators after it ended than around 1.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
What, they can't handle 13-19 knots? From what I saw, there were lots more spectators after it ended than around 1.

My guess is it has to do with live broadcasting. Once we get in the water, everyone in western europe is asleep.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

The AC45 maybe (although, just in San Francisco, they capsized twice in no more than 15 knots during practice) but the AC72 won't risk it. Those are 20 million dollars a pop light air thinghies: http://www.vsail.info/2012/04/27/luca-devoti-the-ac72-is-a-triple-leap-of-faith/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very amateur boat sailor here...
What's with the upside down noses on all the identical boats? I know it was meant to come back out of the water after pearling, but why risk the pearl in the first place? Shouldn't they put spoilers on the noses? Half of them stuff the noses down to the main net deck, when going downwind.
We, as windsurfers, try very hard not to stuff the nose into a swell, in any travelling direction. It's called ...a new idea, NOSE KICK, flat bottom, curved deck.
andydavis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Very amateur boat sailor here...
What's with the upside down noses on all the identical boats? I know it was meant to come back out of the water after pearling, but why risk the pearl in the first place? Shouldn't they put spoilers on the noses? Half of them stuff the noses down to the main net deck, when going downwind...

You're not the first person to notice that. Basically, it's called something like a "reverse wave piercing Dreadnought" bow...it's a trendy design feature that trendy designers are slapping on all kinds of trendy designs. It does have a purpose, principally reducing spray drag at high speeds. We first saw it (used successfully) on maxi trimarans like Banque PopulaireV.

As you pointed out, in the AC 45's the bow produces insufficient restoring force in pitch...the leeward bow buries and the boat pitchpoles. There is argument among interested naval architects as to whether this derives from a deliberate and clever design decision to make the vessels inherently unstable and therefore more exciting to watch (like figure eight demolition derby racing), or from trend following stupidity. I personally believe the latter...some "Design Executive" (I'm guessing Mike Drummond), just thought it would look cool.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bow design is a compromise that improves speed when the boat is sailed as intended but increases the penalty for error. Monohulls also have go-fast features with similar effect: swing keels and water ballast. For big-budget flat-out racing you need to make these compromises. For a family cruising boat safety is more important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: