myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Sail Repair Tape?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Best Sail Repair Tape? Reply with quote

Who uses what and where do I find it on the SF Peninsula?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho, packing tape works plenty good enough and you can find it anywhere. Main thing is to clean the surface well (I use rubbing alcohol) and tape both sides. Only downside for me is that it has to be replaced after a year or two if it sees much sun.

Uhh, one problem is that last time I bought it in OSH there were three different quality levels from 3M so you have to decide which. I think I bought two and then couldn't remember which was more expensive. Simple made complicated by modern marketing.
l_loperena8002

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tear Aid.

West Marine.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

although tear aid is waterproof, sticks the best and is tough i wouldn't use it for a sail. it's more for inflatables and vinyl upholstery. it stretches which isn't something a sail is supposed to do.

packing tape. 3M, heavy duty, UV resistant. there is one kind with reinforcing webbing in it.

there is also actual sail repiar tape available in various colors at marine supply stores.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packing tape for flat monofilm. Sail repair tape--marketed by Chinook, I think-- for where you need big time stickiness and stretch. Try Helm or Boardsports School.
peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful about the color sail repair tape that you get at marine stores. Most of it is nylon material. Made for patching spinakers it really is not a good choice for windsurf sails.
You want to find a dacron sail tape. Packing tape will work well on low load areas with monofilm cloth but will not do to well in a high load area like the tack or on dacron material
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: sail repair tape Reply with quote

The both local windsurf shops sell sail repair tape. It's heavier duty than packing tape. It can eventually start to peel off but I suppose you can just retape it. It's amazing how much more life you can get out of a sail when repairing with tape. Even long tears that look like panel replacement needing damage can be taped up to make the sail useable again. Good Luck.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Gerritt, About a month ago I used some Gorrilla tape in Rio, It is on the monofilm but also on the dacron and it is still holding...it acts like a super glue duct tape. (Thanks Mike for letting me borrow it).

Ernie
kipps

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used Chinook sail repair tape, available at Boardsports
meyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heavy duty tape I got from Boardsports is the best tape I have used, but it is expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: