myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fanatic 135 shark vs ray 130?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurf47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: fanatic 135 shark vs ray 130? Reply with quote

Does anyone have either of these boards?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't; but since you've had no responses I'll wade in here, because I find the question interesting. There's a huge gap between the Shark and the Ray, which Fanatic fills with the Hawk. You might check out the tests at boardseeker.com to get an idea about these boards. Arguably, Fanatic should have sent the Shark to the 120l freeride test and the Hawk to the 110l Freerace test.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, not at all familiar with the Ray.
Hawk is one of the best freerace boards out there, any company. Fast, easy, smooth, needs power, goes fast.
Shark is a easy handling, super smooth, wide range freeride board, much easier jibing than anything close to it's size, a little detuned, but designed for the less than racer level sailor. Fast enough away from the slalom crowd.
TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I have a 130 Shark. Very easy to sail and get into the straps. Went to Calema and tried a 135 and 150 Shark with an 8.5 and was happy with both boards .(they aren't real fast but smooth).Wanted a low wind board and got a Starboard Isonic 145(88 wide)and with a 9.5 ezzy was very pleased with early planing ability.I sold a 145 Shark which was easy to sail,but a little heavy and slow . Super easy to get into the straps.Lastly,I have a 115 Tabou Rocket. Another super easy board to sail.The Sharks can really take abuse. As for the Ray and hawk get a nose protector as they are lighter and much more fragile. Hope this helps. Mark
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from an RRD Z-Ride 133 to a Fanatic Ray 130 LTD during this past year. The Z-Ride was a smooth, friendly, pretty fast freeride board.
I think the Shark is similar to the Z-Ride in friendliness.

The Ray is just about a slalom board. I did a quick run on a Fanatic Falcon the other day and it was similar to the Ray, except it was hard, no give in the deck. The Falcon is all carbon, whereas the Ray has a carbon/kevlar deck so it gives a bit more and is only slightly more forgiving. I did try a Hawk before I bought the Ray. It was pretty good, but I was looking for more speed. Once in a while I wish I had gotten the Hawk as it is more forgiving than the Ray, but not as forgiving as the Z-Ride.

The Ray is really fast and somewhat more difficult to sail than the Hawk, but it is a speed machine. Very close to an all out slalom machine. I didn't used to be to pass a sailing buddy of mine when I had the Z-Ride, now it's no contest, I am always waaay faster (same sail - Ezzy Infinity on both boards).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: