myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Paddleboard/Windsurf Crossover?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used the wind SUP 10'x32" for about 6 weeks. i haven't had it out in a full blown overhead swell, so i've been reluctant to give this report. all of this is based on sailing, and sailing only. i haven't the time or inclination to paddle.

compared to the windSUP 11'8", it needs the same kind of techincal knowledge as the curve 11'5 to get onto a wave when the wind is well below 10 mph. the larger original 11'8" is remarkable in that it can grab a wave super early and way off the peak, at virtually any wind angle. in other words, "stupid easy." never seen its like, in that regard.

the 10'x32" is easy, just not stupidly so.

10'X32" turns great, planes nearly the same time as the 11'5, maybe a knot sooner. and about a knot later the the 11'8" dagger board gaskets make these wind SUP's slow, but we're talking about boards that can do everything. there are always compromises. both are very fin sensitive to applications. wave sailing or SUP, go smaller than stock. flat water sailing or exploring stay with the big fins provided.

the rocker release of the duck tail on the 10'x32" is singular to this board only. it helps with toe pressure turns a bunch. makes the toe side slide when planing on waves a bit more dynamic. haven't had the surf size to see what that does to my heel side cut backs.

top end speeds to be explored with the 10'x32" for onshore backside aerials. the curve is much faster, no doubt with its straighter rocker. it does share a long board attribute with all others: one can stay comfortable in tons of wind without the immediate need to rig down. a surprise gale happened upon me shortly after i got the thing. it was fun, not scary with my 7.5 until the wind started touching 35 in the gusts. i went in and rigged a 4.7 to give that a go. it did well with tons of wind and tiny sail.

a friend of mine paddled the 10x32 and said it was great for that. i don't doubt his word a bit.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I was in Sailworld in Buzzard's Bay, Ma. They had some very interesting sailable SUP's on the rack.
gk109

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out east of maui in Annapolis, Both owners are windsurfers and they have a good selection of paddleboards too. They carry naish, starboard, and a number of other brands. As far as buying from someone local that would have good knowledge of which board would both sail and paddle well they are your best bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: