myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
cannot get weight forward on jibe entry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber rocks! I LIKE that idea.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems funny how we are all doing about the same thing and think about it so differently. maybe this will help.
"my" jibe has 2 steps after i look and unhook

1 when i take my back foot out of the strap and step forward and across the board i keep my front arm strong and just take the sail with me (this moves the sail and my weight forward and oversheets the sail with the front hand) and stay there
2 when the sail pulls gets lighter i let go with my back hand and pull with my front hand across my body

that's it, then i wait for the board to finish and the sail to finish and just grab the boom that is now in front of me and eventually switch feet

i know it sounds too easy but that s how i think of it.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
watermonkey wrote:
too many exits over pointy rocks, so I'm staying in booties.

Every time I walk out of the water at the Hatchery's east cove I wanna find the SOB who sharpens those rocks and have his butt fired. He's one civil servant who does his job TOO well.

Sharp rocks HA! I should be so lucky, try live coral and especially sea urchins, maybe a stone fish or a moray eel.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATUPWITU, great description, i'd add that the less powered i am, the more i have to chuck the sail around.

the board carves into the sail transition when one is truly lit and going mach inot a turn.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all works. For many people it's not a question of what to do, its a question of what else they're doing that's killing their speed. This is why taking lessons with a good instructor is so helpful...they everything you're doing (and not doing).

WATUPWITU wrote:
it seems funny how we are all doing about the same thing and think about it so differently. maybe this will help.
"my" jibe has 2 steps after i look and unhook

1 when i take my back foot out of the strap and step forward and across the board i keep my front arm strong and just take the sail with me (this moves the sail and my weight forward and oversheets the sail with the front hand) and stay there
2 when the sail pulls gets lighter i let go with my back hand and pull with my front hand across my body

that's it, then i wait for the board to finish and the sail to finish and just grab the boom that is now in front of me and eventually switch feet

i know it sounds too easy but that s how i think of it.

isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WATUPWITU wrote:
when the sail pulls gets lighter i let go with my back hand and pull with my front hand across my body. That's it, then i wait for the board to finish and the sail to finish and just grab the boom that is now in front of me and eventually switch feet.

If it interests you, consider adding some spice and snap to your jibes by taking charge and jibing more aggressively. Carve much harder, THROW that back hand into the jibe, THROW the mast across your face, "wait" for nothing, switch both feet simultaneously while the sail spins like a top in mid-air, grab yer board with yer feet and yer boom with yer hands, and git out of Dodge at full speed. In effect, even though you're carving the turn, the feel and look is one of bouncing off a piece of chop at full speed to convert a powered port reach into a powered starboard reach in literally a couple of seconds, crossing your own incoming wake within 3-4 seconds of jibe initiation if desired. We can make a jibe an event, rather than a process, if we wish, on turny boards roughly under 125 liters and 6.5 sq meters.

It's just an option, of course, but it's a ton of fun anytime and an effective way to jibe in a crowd of people, between tightly spaced east coast waves, in crappy terrain anywhere, and on flat glass just for the hell of it. And done right, any loss of speed is imperceptible.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
And done right, any loss of speed is imperceptible.

Unless you're lit on small gear, the loss of speed will be quite perceptible, and can easily bring you off the plane.

Slow smooth movement is the way to plane through jibes in anything but overpowered conditions and/or off of substantial swell. As any number of jibe instructors say: the slower you move your body, the faster your jibe.

isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say overpowered, but lit sure helps, and I can't imagine doing it as quickly on 150 liters and 8 sq meters. I didn't begin trying it until I began using gear under the sizes I mentioned. As for being lit, that's why we rig to plane in most of the holes, choose windy sections of water to jibe on, and bear off to gain speed if necessary.

If we move our bodies too slowly, the board's going to stop planing before we get it and the rig turned around. If I think I can just barely squeak off a jibe before losing the plane in marginal conditions, I keep the power on until it's time to jibe the sail, jibe it throw/throw style like I always do (ASAP!), then re-apply power immediately, all while disturbing the board as little as possible. That leaves me coasting with no power for less than one second, giving me my best shot at planing all the way through. It's as close to powerpowerpowerpoowerflippowerpowerpower as I can get it, so if the board blinks during that flip, it just keeps on planin' out of sheer ignorance.

Another variation applies to very gusty spots or days, when I suspect I won't plane all the way through but hoping the next gust is just seconds away. Then I may just carveflipswitch in one quick motion, not touching any of my gear during the "flipswitch" then coming down on the deck and boom in the new broad reach position, ready for that gust but not planing, maybe barely even moving. If the next gust arrives on schedule, away I go; if not, in the water I go until the wind resumes. No point standing there holding the rig up when we can't plane.

It's all just more ways to skin the same old cat, ever more useful as boards glide less due to size and/or shape, conditions get gnarlier, and boredom with the same wide jibes sets in.
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just so we are on the same page the jibe i explained is the simple "i want to learn to jibe" jibe as well as the "i'm being lazy" in the middle of a 2 1/2 hour session to relax a bit jibe or the "i'm very happy on this swell and will stay on it for now" jibe. There are literally dozens of others not even including jump and duck jibes i do depending upon wind, water and attitude, so thanks iso but i got it covered for now. Besides, i think i'm going to learn to kite Laughing
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
I wouldn't say overpowered, but lit sure helps, and I can't imagine doing it as quickly on 150 liters and 8 sq meters. I didn't begin trying it until I began using gear under the sizes I mentioned.

I saw the sizes you mentioned, and I still say that you are giving bad advice. In order to plane through a jibe (and certainly in order to rip through a jibe, exiting at high speed) smaller, slower, smoother technique with sail handling and footwork is the way to go. Go out and try it on an 90 liter board with a 5.0, for example. You're more likely to plane through, and certainly to exit with more speed. Anything that disturbs the smooth trim of the board in the water (or the sail in the air) dumps speed.

"The slower you move, the faster you jibe" is a quote from ABK, but all of the professional windsurfing instructing schools teach some variation of this.

To rip through a jibe and exit with blazing speed, move slowly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: