myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Did You Get Your Stoke Learning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was my 1st board, still have it and greatly enjoyed sailing it again last month in Maine.

I remember the first time it actually went across the water, me thinking hey this is really kool, no motor and just me and the wind, never giving a thought on how I might turn around and get back.

I think hooked, would have been the results of the water start lesson in Hood River, and the 1st time I actually got up on the board, I whooped and hollered like I had hit the lottery.

I also have memories of those that helped me along the way, most vivid are 3 fisherman who threw me a line, they drug me and gear in to prevent a Coast Guard rescue. This a bit of an Epiphany, as they were black, Mexican and Chinese.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Great stuff!!! Very Happy
blockidog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriend in 1980 with a WS One Design (Teak Boom/Step) would let me use her board on BI, RI. 1st real sesh was from BI Club to Cormorant Cove on a port tack....couldn't sail starboard after multiple attempts. My brother found me and dragged me back with a 13' skiff. GF drove to the Cove and couldn't figure out where I went.

I was hooked once I got that 12' board on plane.

Henry D was the Windsurfer Rep and Fleet (66?) organizer and he sold me a one design and let me pay for it with $50/week installments.

Raced in the Block I Blow Out and the Block Island or Bust from '81 - '83. Still have some of the t's.

Bought my first short board in '87 - a used Alpha 80.

BI T Shirts 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  721.33 KB
 Viewed:  9281 Time(s)

BI T Shirts 2.jpg

BI T Shirts.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  715.1 KB
 Viewed:  9281 Time(s)

BI T Shirts.jpg

windsurfman59

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my story is way to long as the first 6 years could easly be a book. when i graduated high school east greenwich coming off 6 years of sailing school racing dyer does to 505s. I made my way via backpack and tent to key largo school east greenwich coming off 6 years of sailing school racing dyer does to 505s. I made my way via backpack and tent to key largo 1977 where i befriended kent and barb blakley of windsurfing key largo I got my first windsurfer that fall. Went to clearwater following year to get certified as instructor threw windsurfinfg international. teaching in 78 regattas .started sailing 6 miles offshore to sail in waves on molasass reef lots of gear failures and rescues so in 79 we started exploring fla coast .virgina key,singer island,jupiter inlet ,fort pierce and up. first hatteras trip was that year testing sails with freedom sails in islamarada. we started making our own boards that year as the rocket came out and that wasn't good as we saw the mags and pics of other boards went to clark foam my dad worked for chemical co. free epoxy and kevlar i was awgriping yachts so the rest is history. unfortunately iv missed the last couple months tryin to avoid 3rd back surgery I did do my share off loops this spring but that has nothing to do with it. Everybody enjoy today as i no its cranking .Iceratz i think you no my freind doug vanZant he was ice sailing back then .
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfman59 wrote:
Iceratz i think you no my freind doug vanZant he was ice sailing back then .

Yes, we ice sailed a lot together.
Where is Doug now?
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug lives in White Salmon and works in Portland for a photovoltaic manufacturer, last I heard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: