myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing related injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The padded bus came around the corner again yesterday and slammed me. This time I was powered up in gusty conditions with my 8.4. Unfortunately when I started the day loading the SUV, a shoulder to neck muscle tightened up. It had something to do with the cool temps of morning and was a thirty year old injury coming back to haunt me again. Since it never really "let go" through the day's windsurfing, I opted not to try any gybes after my first. Luckily my venue allows me to sail beach to beach. You have to expect some soreness and pain after most sessions. This is a serious sport. At one point I was pulled off the board by a gust and banged my elbow on the board or mast. Nevertheless, I don't feel like a basket case today. The shoulder isn't bad and the muscals have lost most of their soreness.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
You have to expect some soreness and pain after most sessions.

That ... or find and eliminate the causes. If I hurt afterward, I change something.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

If I HAD done even the most basic cancer reading -- just the most elemental stuff everyone should know before they reach 40 -- my life expectancy would be another 24 years. Instead, I trusted my primary care physician, whose incompetence we now know let my cancer spread for two to three years before he even notified me of it.

Hmmm, well your board-padding recommendations worked very well for me, so if you have recs to extend my life, I'm game for some of that. My source for general reading has been the Cleveland Clinic's web pages: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/default.aspx , but I'd be interested if you recommend better sources on this, if different than what you have previously posted.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:

That ... or find and eliminate the causes. If I hurt afterward, I change something.
You're either crazy or naive. Life is painful plain and simple.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's possible to be both crazy and naive, to wit:

speedysailor wrote:
isobras wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:

You're either crazy or naive. Life is painful plain and simple.

isobras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor, agreeing with himself, wrote:
Life is painful plain and simple.

Well, sure, dood ... with 80 people crammed into one skull, I'd think so.
ronm41

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="justall"]
isobras wrote:

If I HAD done even the most basic cancer reading -- just the most elemental stuff everyone should know before they reach 40 -- my life expectancy would be another 24 years. Instead, I trusted my primary care physician, whose incompetence we now know let my cancer spread for two to three years before he even notified me of it.

With the uncertainy of Cancers, unpredictiable at best, except for maybe the five year survival stats I can't imagine how you can go out that long on a prognosis. So, IMO unless you docs have given you a terrible prognosis, death sentence so to speak, a healthy guy like you should have a good chance of beating this completely as your body will rebuild most all tissue and organs damaged by chemo and radiation. Wink
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24-year life expectancy came from plugging my relevant data (minus the cancer) into actuarial sites designed just for that purpose.

But back to reality ... hundreds of pages of notes condensed from the 300 relevant PubMed studies I read give me these median expectations:
1. 4 more years to mets, then
2. 2-3 years more until death.
3. Chemo does more harm than good for prostate cancer.
4. Salvage radiation treatment offers me .18 likelihood of cure and >.75 likelihood of prompt and permanent disabling side effects, particularly since I'm already well down the side effect path.

My uro onc was a principle in the foremost study on 1, 2, and 4, and concurred after I plugged my clinical data into its math and statistics. A renown rad onc confirmed my #4 conclusion in an hour-long one-on-one consult.

Statistically, I'm screwed either way, and had to base my subsequent treatment on statistics, clinical evidence, and the sign I recently posted on my wall: "It's not the number of breaths we take, but the number of times our breath is taken away."

Now, is it any wonder I whine when BAFFERS Bogart the swell?

Beyond all that, I hope you're right. Exercise does fight cancer, and I've taken to heart the very small contribution diet makes in cancer.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ugly prostate! For you guys that haven't done the PSA test, don't ignore it. It should always be a part of your annual physicals, even liberals, with or without the ACA.

I had a slightly elevated PSA about 17 years ago (age 50), which led to a biopsy and the diagnoses of prostate cancer (an especially agressive kind = 1-2 years of life left if not addressed).

Long story short - a prostatectomy to remove the gland and the still contained cancer. 100% success with NONE of the occasional side effects (incontinence and erectile dysfunction). A good surgeon is critical to leave the important nerves intact or you will have the horrid side effects.

I was lucky that I caught it when I did (EARLY). NOT all prostate cancers are slow growing.

I guess iso's spread outside the prostate, which complicates the issue greatly. Sorry to hear that.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time I got my brother to finally go to a doctor his PSA was 914. He went from back pains to death in about 6 months. Seeing somebody die from cancer isn't pretty folks. Get checked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: