myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing related injuries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinse yer mouth out with water, Joe ... after each slug of Gatorade. Sports drinks are quite acidic, and attack our teeth.
Note to self: Heed that advice yourself (I usually forget to rinse.)
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Lifelong exercise adds many years of longevity and 2 to 3 decades of higher QOL to our lives compared to surfing a couch.

OOPS! A large study published just this week confirms the latter but disputes the former. According to it, exercisers do live far healthier lives from middle age on, but still drop dead -- often literally -- at similar ages.

I'll take that ... and I'll still outlast most couch/gamer slugs 1/3 my age.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Isobras, my tooth enamel remains exceptionally hard and has often raised the eyebrows of dentists. It's sort of like the way I take medical shots and needles in the shoulder. Usually they come out bent. I did have my last hygienist, a russian implant, warn me about Gatorade, milk and anything but filtered water. I have come to the conclusion that she would rather give me advice than do her job. Consequently, I'm changing dentists this fall. The fact actually is that my saliva has some kind of neutralizing agent that prevents tooth decay but leaves a nasty stain. I can retard the stain by excellent hygiene and do.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
my tooth enamel remains exceptionally hard and has often raised the eyebrows of dentists ... my saliva has some kind of neutralizing agent that prevents tooth decay but leaves a nasty stain.

Just don't be raising the eyebrows of any bar skanks with that theory.
ronm41

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
ronm41 wrote:
My goal is to weigh around 185 to start ski season.

I'd think the more important factors would be strength and endurance, regardless of what the scale says. Much also depends on what mix of muscle vs fat you lost. A good sports nutrition book (or trainer) can make sure your diet promotes muscle preservation and development and discourages fat replacement, but it's very tough to walk the tightrope between the former and the latter. The competitive bodybuilders in my gym eat and lift to put on pounds of muscle regardless of the accompanying fat, then drop the carbs to near zip to starve the fat off ... effective, but overall not a healthy process.

I bumped my proteins this past year with very rewarding muscle retention results compared to previous years. Hard work + insufficient protein = muscle atrophy.

I am pretty savy reguarding diet and what plan either exercise and diet works for me. However, I am in a grey area as this is the lightest I have been since the 8th grade. That is why I am going slow at gaining my weight back. I do real good at around 200 as my body fat is around 9% at that tested by a sports lab. So not sure what it is now at 175 but my skin is paper thin even on my abs. All I can do is work hard and watch everything I eat. I think so far considering what I have been thru lately pretty good and my docs agree. I have never been out of shape my whole adult life. I was a college athlete, full athletic schlarship and was a career physical educator and coach and my speciality was fitness and later on physical rehab and fitness for the handicapped. So, a life long committment. I look good, tall lean and muscular and for a guy approaching 70 I can play with the young guys either sailing or skiing. Shocked
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
I did have my last hygienist, a russian implant, warn me about Gatorade, milk and anything but filtered water. I have come to the conclusion that she would rather give me advice than do her job...

Was that Orly Taitz? Did she demand your birth certificate?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe said:
Quote:
Wow. I got hit by that bus last night and am still tangled in the wheels today. It was a moderate session with the 11 meter formula sail and board.

You nailed it, and many don't think that big sails and light/moderate winds are that demanding. Since I sail on everything from 4.0 to 11.0, it is clear to me that I am much more fatigued (hit by the padded bus) after a session on a 9.2 or 11.0 formula romp in 15 knots than the same amount of time on a 5.0 in 25 knots.

I don't necessarily feel it while on the water, but a few hours later, and I am pooped. Some of this I bring on myself because when I am on my big stuff, I do pump a lot to maximize my planing time. It's a hell of a workout, and you are right, it's more of an endurance issue than strength.

I drink Gatorade too, but only after a session and then it's 20oz followed by another 20oz of water. Drinking Gatorade after a session is like pouring it into a sponge. It's as if your stomach was empty 5 minutes after drinking the bottle. No tooth issue with me either & no dental work for at least 20 years, plus I go for annual checkups/cleaning. I think heredity has a lot to do with it.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
1. many don't think that big sails and light/moderate winds are that demanding. Since I sail on everything from 4.0 to 11.0, it is clear to me that I am much more fatigued (hit by the padded bus) after a session on a 9.2 or 11.0 formula romp in 15 knots than the same amount of time on a 5.0 in 25 knots.

2. it's more of an endurance issue than strength.

3. I drink Gatorade too, but only after a session and then it's 20oz followed by another 20oz of water.

1. Even a "little" 7.5 is a HELLUVA workout. Besides the limited terrain (in fresh water), it's a ton of work throwing around a camless 7.5; I can't even imagine how much work is involved with truly big sails, with or w/o cams. In fact, both of those considerations led me to sell all my 7.5 gear. The high ratio of hard work to grins just didn't float my boat.

2. It's both, in my limited 7.5 experience, even my more extensive 6.8 experience. I was often grunting in sheer physical effort trying to force them through tight maneuvers and quick jibes. Except when just hanging out in the harness cruising across the lake in steady breezes, those things are WORK.

3. Thus the padded bus syndrome. As Ron knows, the first thing we should do IMMEDIATELY after beaching our rig after a full session (or wiping out our whole body in the gym) is chug a drink of highly bioavailable carbs and protein in a 4:1 to 5:1 ratio in something like a 100:20-gm dosage. Our muscle cells are screaming for the carbs, and if we don't provide them within 15 minutes or so ... and keep it up on schedule for a couple of days after a big long day of WSing or a major whole-body workout -- our bodies start making carbs out of muscle, promoting fatigue and muscle atrophy. I keep a quart of chocolate skim milk and a tub of carbs/whey supplement powder premixed @ 5:1 ratio ready for mixing with water as alternatives for recovery drinks right after each session or whole body workout. The benefits in both muscle retention over the summer (I don't work out during the sailing season) and energy recovery are as obvious as a hot pink and chartreuse sail.

I haven't confirmed it with further research, but I have read that drinking anything like 40 oz of fluid ensures that most of it bypasses our cells on its way directly to the toilet. Based on that, I hydrate like a fish, but more slowly.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso said:
Quote:
haven't confirmed it with further research, but I have read that drinking anything like 40 oz of fluid ensures that most of it bypasses our cells on its way directly to the toilet. Based on that, I hydrate like a fish, but more slowly.

I don't know, but there is no urine production in the first couple of hours after sailing. It takes another 20+oz later in the day/evening before there is much flow. Remember, it's hot in Dallas. Summer sailing is always in the 90's and 100's. Wet, thick Lycra helps a lot.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas heat and humidity are certainly dehydrating; sweating where I am is operator error, since the water peaks at 72 degrees and is always just a few feet away. I have to wear at least SOME neoprene here (and in New Mexico) virtually every session to keep completely comfortable long term. OTOH, we're huffing and puffing dry air, which dehydrates us rapidly.

This chilly season has robbed us of those days. I'm usually in boardies (plus a neo vest) for months, from early July well into September. This year that lasted about a week for me. ONE session w/o neoprene this year, and that left me cooler than I want to be when miles from my van.

But hydration, ATP replacement, and protein replacement are three independent and important challenges with specific but overlapping solutions, and electrolyte sports drinks address only one of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: