myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
shoulder rehab
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lasrer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: shoulder rehab Reply with quote

Hi Gang

My summer full of sailing, racing and paddling has left me with a minor, but still painful, case of rotator cuff tendonitis. It wasnt windsurfing, not enough of it. Age 54.

Any wisdom out there on rehab.? Doctor says absolutely no paddling till next year. I cant stand the thought of that.

I think it was pulling mainsheet tension on as hard as I could on the trimaran for weeks during racing season.

thanks

ed Crying or Very sad
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: shoulder pain Reply with quote

i like paddling also Very Happy 57 years old shoulder pain also.try shortening your paddle lenghth if you have a adjustable one Question .2-3 in. shorther made a world of difference
paulf.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep icing it to stimulate healing. find a physical therapist or conditioning coach that works with baseball players, they have a bag of tricks for shoulder
rehab.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search this forum for many long and detailed shoulder and rotator cuff injury and rehab threads. I'd suggest using the word shoulder and the phrase "rotator cuff", in quotes.

Realize that what was once regarded as tendonitis (tendon inflammation reducible with ice) is now known to often be tendinopathy (tendon damage requiring a totally different treatment protocol). A good physician, maybe a physical therapist, can tell the difference and treat accordingly. Presuming one or the other without proper diagnosis can waste a lot of time.

BTW ... to protect my generally healthy but no longer invincible shoulders and knees from the realities of age, I've made conscious decisions to just say no to sailing 7.5s (to lessen the least-fun sailing time and reduce the effort required in hard maneuvering), to eat or rest during each season's most extreme gusty sessions (e.g., 40 gusting to 60 mph), not to take up kayaking or resume snowboarding, and to give up racing dirt bikes. I suspect I've significantly raised my ratio of fun to risk.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

Realize that what was once regarded as tendonitis (tendon inflammation reducible with ice) is now known to often be tendinopathy (tendon damage requiring a totally different treatment protocol).
Now you are really making me laugh.
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After battling rotator cuff issues for years, including lots of PT, this plan is what fixed mine. But you have to be religious about it and follow directions exactly. I'd say 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are the most important.
http://www.teamunify.com/isnwsc/UserFiles/Image/SwimmerResources/Education/Shoulder%20Injury%20Prevention.pdf

It says for the "uninjured" but you can do them as long as you don't have pain during the exercises. Give your shoulder a week or two to calm down (don't do anything that causes pain) and be sure to use ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. You can start the exercises right away if not causing pain. The idea is to use ibuprofen to help it not get inflamed in the first place and to reduce inflammation as you retrain/strengthen your muscles. But don't load up on ibuprofen and go out and overdo it, because you won't know you're causing injury.

Another good exercise is PNF, but you will need a partner. See Youtube
Something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqrAW6OnIuI
Lots of others out there.

Good luck.
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: My shoulder was cured Reply with quote

After months of rehab, great physical therapists, and consults with two different orthopedic surgeons - both of whom are windsurfers, with a diagnosis of rotator cuff.....in a before-surgery desperation move, I went to see a Rolfer in Providence RI .

9 sessions later, my shoulder is perfect, NO SURGERY, no problems windsurfing, paddling a surf kayak, raking, playing tennis. The Rolfing sessions NEVER hurt after I left his office or the next day. One session did hurt for about 5 minutes while he was doing it. Very honest guy.
gregknightrolfing.com/ PM me if you want more info.
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso, reread the post. i said ice to stimulate healing, nothing about inflammation. tendon, being avascular, benefits from the increased regional blood flow after ice application, which brings many beneficial cellular and chemical products to the damaged tissue.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know, the primary purpose and function of ice is to minimize further swelling -- which exacerbates the trauma -- of a fresh injury, particularly for the first 72 hours. Once swelling has stopped, ice becomes less important, maybe even superfluous in many cases. The contrast therapy (temperature changes) you suggest help up to a point with some patients and injuries, but aren't likely to reverse the established pathology known as tendinopathy (or tendinosis). Once an acute or chronic injury reaches that stage, current treatment protocols often change from reducing inflammation with ice to deliberately inducing mild inflammation to "awaken" the body's natural healing process it had abandoned (as confirmed by chemical and microscopic analysis). One cue that a tendon may have reached this stage is if the pain seems to have stopped diminishing with weeks of diligent rest, ice, and/or heat. The implication is that the body's healing process no longer recognizes the new pathology as an inflammation -- or simply gives up? -- and thus shuts down its anti-inflammatory response. Tendinopathy is relatively newly recognized as a phenomenon distinct from, independent of, and often derived from long-term but now-departed inflammation. Many treatments for it are being tested with no clear winner in the medical literature as of just months ago.

One thing its sufferers can assure Sailingjoe of, though, is that it's no laughing matter. The chuckles stop after weeks of severe 24/7 tennis elbow with no relief even after weeks to months of the usual non-surgical treatments. Upon reaching that point with my forearm, I tried ASTYM
(see http://tinyurl.com/93hq4gu ) with excellent short and long term results.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: shoulder rehab Reply with quote

Professional Sports Physical Therapy. Don't screw around.

The beauty of Sports PT is that once you're better you'll also have an exercise routine to help you reduce the likelihood of reinjuring it.

Conversely, the longer you have a tendonitis problem, the harder and longer it is to cure it.

lasrer wrote:
Hi Gang

My summer full of sailing, racing and paddling has left me with a minor, but still painful, case of rotator cuff tendonitis. It wasnt windsurfing, not enough of it. Age 54.

Any wisdom out there on rehab.? Doctor says absolutely no paddling till next year. I cant stand the thought of that.

I think it was pulling mainsheet tension on as hard as I could on the trimaran for weeks during racing season.

thanks

ed Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: