myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blackberry Beach evaluations?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I could have driven down to Rooster, for another 5 MPH, but I didn't.

The rule of thumb I was taught re easterlies has for decades been go to Rooster for stronger but briefer winds, a crappy launch (the stairwell), and minimal swell, vs Stevenson for weaker but longer winds, good launches, and better swell. Like everything else in the sport, it's all about preferences.
eflatminor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Winds posted this video on behalf of CGWA back in 2010. It shows how to get to Blackberry and some easterly sailing.

http://youtu.be/Ni0KHwQ2enc
Nonjibedude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Blackberry Beach Reply with quote

Worth taking a look - would be great with improved road to launch sites. Blackberry bushes close to two tire track and low hanging trees/bushes etc. East launch rocky particularly at low river levels. West launch has gravel beach. Don't think the wind shadow would be a concern. Looks like the site has great potential and I noticed they have put in some mountain bike trails!
LAWLER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: West wind/blackberry Reply with quote

On the way to sail a west wind at Stevenson I stopped by blackberry. Maybe it was the particular wind direction that day but you would have had to swim well over 200 feet to get to the wind line. Maybe if a person could launch from the far west end of the blackberry (( peninsula )) you would have wind at the waters edge? Maybe not. I had hoped that they could open that west end for vehicle access, but after walking down that direction it was apparent that that would take a lot of work and money. Narrow trail only.[/u]
pablomerc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blackberry Beach Reply with quote

tombeale wrote:
... and I noticed they have put in some mountain bike trails!
That would be the easyCLIMB trail system
rhorton1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stopped by BlackBerry Beach Saturday for the east winds, and I approve. East end launch had about 4 other windsurfers parked there, and there were about 8 or so kiters 100 yards west at the kite launch.

Steady 5.8 winds and flat water. Lots like Stevenson, but without the amenities or crowds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: