myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Upwind tips needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
It was hard to tell for sure from the video, but it looks like your boom is too low. It should be raised to about shoulder height. This will allow you to sail with your legs straight rather than hunched over which will allow you to keep the rig more upright.

Also, use the centerboard/center fin if that board has them. If you don't have a centerboard, you're going to have a real hard time staying upwind.

sm

I never use the centerboard on my formula board Very Happy Was a PITA at first but finally got it Very Happy
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people will cringe at me saying this, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd say get a harness and harness lines going. Using a harness is not difficult or scary, but hooking into shorter "normal" length lines and suddenly getting powered up can be. So, simple solution, get adjustable harness lines that can be set to be quite long. To start with, make the harness lines long enough so its super easy to hook into or get out of. I really think this will help you balance the sail better, sheet in more, and get your body further back on the board where it needs to be. As you get better, you'll notice that you keep dropping out of your harness line. When that happens, shorten it a bit, and continue the process. For what its worth, my wife learned on a nearly identical board (Starboard GO) and started using her harness on her second time out. She was in the straps & able to plane upwind after about 12 times out. If you're assertive but sensible, you can progress very quickly.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterflyer, the good news is you've done well enough so far you can look forward to living up to your handle.
The following link is for The 10+ Steps Guide to Windsurfing from the Cal Sailing Club. It was updated in 2009 so the it is different from what I remember....and the added illustrations may make it even more useful for you. ttp://garnet.berkeley.edu/~wprinz/windsurfing/windindex.html
Starboard has a Start Windsurfing forum moderated by Roger Jackson which is very helpful. Search for prior threads or ask new questions. http://www.star-board.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
Reviewing several of the beginning windsufing instructional videos on YouTube or wherever you find them will also be helpful if you can compare what you are doing with what the instructional videos show.
Persistence in trying to figure it out will pay off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: