myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2005 starboard carve 145

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: 2005 starboard carve 145 Reply with quote

Does anybody has any experience with this board? Is it worth 200$ in good condition? It got good reviews back in its days, but they got shorter and wider since then , so I was wondering how it will compare with latest shapes.
I'm looking for a light wind board to use with a 8.5 sail and i don't want to spend too much. Only replies specifically for this particular board please:2005 Starboard Carve 145L /DRAM construction/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty good enough for any light wind sailor's needs short of a top level slalom racer.
Length doesn't hurt in light winds, when the chop is small or farther apart.
Modern skirt lengths go up and down, but they still do the job.
A little length helps with tacks and sub planing heading to the wind.
KBack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont get much for 200 bucks today... carves are great board and if it is in good conditions it would be a good combo with 8.5
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. You are right about length helping in subplaning conditions. Control is not my concern, but early planing and no planing. It will complete my target quiver of 3 boards and a SUP.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that board in wood construction and like it quite a bit.
I use my 110 liter Skate as my primary board, but still have occasion to use the Carve. I've used it primarily with 8.5 and 7.0 sails. Re the 7.0, it planed up so much earlier than my 110 Freestyle Skate, same rig, same fin, back to back trial. Also planes up quite a bit faster than my Kona One. Handles an 8.5 easily and does well in chop,esp for a board that size.

I'd highly recommend it, especially for $200, no doubts at all.
acctx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2005 starboard carve 145 Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Does anybody has any experience with this board? Is it worth 200$ in good condition? It got good reviews back in its days, but they got shorter and wider since then , so I was wondering how it will compare with latest shapes.
I'm looking for a light wind board to use with a 8.5 sail and i don't want to spend too much. Only replies specifically for this particular board please:2005 Starboard Carve 145L /DRAM construction/

I had this same board, though I think it was 2006. At 175 it was a bit big, I preferred a 130 as a light wind board. However for $200 it is a great deal and most likely you can sell it for $400.

I learned planing jibes on it
adywind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, I missed it by a day. Somebody else grabbed the treasure Sad. Maybe for good. I'm jumping on a new 2011 Super Sport 79 ... for 6.5x the price of the Carve. Go figure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: