myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
rider weight and planing ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: rider weight and planing ? Reply with quote

so, you have 2 riders, both sailing the same rigs and boards, one weighs in at about 175lbs, the other is 200bs.. how much less wind will the lighter rider be able to plane in?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the have the same skills, it's directly proportional to their weight. So if 200 lb rider needs 18 mph, the 175 lb will plane in 16 mph. A 130 lb sailor will plane in ~ 13 mph, assuming s/he can handle the big sail.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good estimation.
And skill level can make up for about 4-5 mph wind speeds, with judicious pumping, footing, bearing off on swells, and unweighting.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say the same rig and board then you are diverging from reality. The sailors should not be sailing the same size sail or fin for sure. Rule of thumb on sails would be 0.8 to 1 sq. meter in sail size per twenty pounds. In other words, your heavier sailor can plane in the same wind as the other sailor if he has a sail 1 sq. meter larger and a suitable fin.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem here is skill level and active participation can askewer the results.
I've mostly sailed with guys 40 lbs heavier than myself. Usually, they use about a meter more, 20 liters more, bigger fin, bigger rig triangles, and if they work at early planing, they get me. If they don't, and just stand there, I plane up much earlier.
Skill factor and active participation is huge for early planing.
Top speeds, my hats off to the big guys.
bubbalover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: I'm about 290 lbs... Reply with quote

I sail quite a bit bigger than most people. In a recent 30+ day at the Event Site I was out on a 6.4 while most people were on 4.somethings. I can handle a 9.5 freeride sail up to about 20-21.

When it comes to planing board volume can make a huge difference. Planing is MOSTLY about achieving a given speed. If I'm out on a 120L board I have to get going a LOT faster than someone who weighs 150 lbs. If I'm on a 220L board I have to get going just a little faster. Also the stronger the wind the less of a difference because at a certain point you don't have to go faster than the wind in order to plane.

I know big guys, 250 lbs., who can make really small gear work. Skill is the single most important factor when it comes to planing.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my old buds was a guy called FatDave (Gould).
He was 5'10" and 275lbs.
His every day board was a Seatrend 9'5", at 133 liters. He's ridden my g/f's 75 liter wave board, making almost every jibe (twas windy).
At Crissy or Flying Tigers, he normally used about a meter bigger than I did. I was a 145 lbs monster using a 100 liter board.
In his early years, I could plane up sooner.
After his 3rd season, we planed up about the same, using relatively the same sized gear.
Of course, he was not normal. He raced motocross, snowmobiles, could kick a streetsign 6'6" off the ground and land on his feet, and at the Ponds speed trials, the 3 qualifying days, went 6 mph faster than RoddyLewis, FredHaywood, and Laird, but wasn't seeded into the Monday and Tuesdays official sessions. During the Q's, he was consistently the fastest person there, and the cast of characters included some real big guys and sponsored sailors.
Such is politics.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

body type should be considered as well. a tall 175 lb buy vs short with equal pump to plane skills will hole shot a bit sooner as well. the longer a person's limbs are seems to be a benefit.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubba you mean that a wider board gets you up quicker.
Volume is handy for slogging but wont get you planing if the board is already on the surface.
Any shaper can give you a way to confirm this. Tape a 10 liter size block of foam on top of your board and see if the extra volume will you get on plane sooner.
Same if you peel back the skin and scrape 10 liters off the foam and reseal it.
We once cut 18 ins off the front of a board with a broken nose and thought it would plane slower and turn faster because it was shorter and less volume.
It pearled a little but sailed exactly the same as before.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
If the have the same skills, it's directly proportional to their weight. So if 200 lb rider needs 18 mph, the 175 lb will plane in 16 mph. A 130 lb sailor will plane in ~ 13 mph, assuming s/he can handle the big sail.

ya,, rider has the same skills..its me.
what i am, and what i might be.
but that was what i was wondering, if it could be directly proportional..
and if it is... im going on a diet.
as that extra 2 miles an hour can make a big difference where i sail.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: