myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD Firemove 130 140 experiences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruntoj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: RRD Firemove 130 140 experiences? Reply with quote

Looking for experiences with the larger Firemove boards. I'm an intermediate'ish 210 lb male, sail San Diego area, currently getting a lot of fun out of a Starboard Formula Experience with a 9.5 Ezzy sail. I can plane in the straps, plane through half a tack, and provide great entertainment value wipeouts when trying to gybe. Catapults still occur but becoming less and less frequent. I'm thinking 6 months down the road. I also have a Rio M but its a dog to get planing in typical local 11-14mph.

The 140 Firemove E-tech has caught my eye and the San Diego part of me says go big (140) but I'm looking for experiences.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that RRD's freeride/freerace board?
CalSailingClub here has about 6 of them, mostly 130's, but some 140's and some 120's.
Fast, recreational freeride/race board, pretty sturdy, planes up early and can handle some wind.
At 220 with a wetsuit, maybe you're looking for something around 120 liters, as most guys your size can uphaul with 115 liters. But bigger is safer and allows you to go out more often with less trepidations.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic board , I have the 110 and weigh 185. I start to plane at around 15/16 mph with a 6.5. At your weight, if planing early is your biggest concern then go with the 140, if you are willing to pump a little more then go with the smaller more maneuverable 130. In the end you will have a board that will take a little more wind to get going than a formula board but much looser and fun to ride. If you can afford the ltd go for it, lighter boards feel even better, and I believe have more float because of their lighter weight.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i weigh 100 kilos and use a FreeFormula 170 liters/94 cm with a 10-oh in winds 10 mph / ~10 knots to about 16 knots
since i am in a light wind area - in terms of averages - this is my most used kit.
when i learned about the Firemove 140 i became interested
it sounds like a performant, maneuverable board that could be used in my conditions - with perhaps more speed and maneuverability than my older FreeFormula
for my weight and conditions i would consider the 140
however, my concern is - how well will it schlogg ??
my board at 170 liters, schlogging is no issue and it goes on a plane so smoothly Smile
how would this 140 do in 10 + mph/~knot winds with a 10-oh ?
does it need "good winds" in order to work well ?
example, my 124 does NOT schlogg - it is for blasting in 20 knots
anyway - time will tell ....
q) did we really need another windsurf board category ??

as auventfou says:
WAVE === FREESTYLE-WAVE === (FREEMOVE) FREERIDE (FREERACE) === SLALOM
<-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
maneuverability ..........................................................................................................................speed
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on phil's windsurf blog he posts:

"I am a huge fan of the RRD brand and based on all the reviews and commentary out there, their slalom boards have to be among the best (specially for the advanced recreational guys). What always disappoints me is when an admired brand gets it wrong (North's heavy sails for example) and RRD's Firemove is one such case. Here is a fine example of a freemove design (probably one of the best) but the weights are way too high. Their light construction 110l model weighs 7.6kg. Totally unacceptable. The equivalent Fanatic Skate weighs 6.3kg. If Fanatic can get it right then the rest of the brands can too."

http://philswindsurfingblog.blogspot.ca/search?q=freemove
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2007 fanatic falcon , super light construction . First day I had it (1700$) I spun out and put me knee through the bottom of the board. I also put several dings on the top from the knots on the uphaul. I really liked that board, but it was ridiculously fragile.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanatic has increased the weight of their boards in recent years to increase durability. The Skate 110 is currently listed at 6.8 kg, not 6.3 kg. The Skate is a freestyle board intended for new school aerials; the FireMove 110 is a freemove board more directed towards blasting. I'd argue that lower weight is more important in a freestyle board.

At the last Windsurfing Magazine board test in Hatteras, the FireMove 110 was universally like or loved. I spent 6 hours on it the day after the tests. I own a 2011 Skate 110 which I like a lot, but the FireMove 110 was definitely even more fun for freeriding. The weight was no issue - nobody at the test mentioned anything about it, but almost everyone who tried it talked about the early planing, jibing, and other things they liked. That said, some friends have tried larger FireMoves in Bonaire and really did not like them (perhaps because you cannot use the large fins that the wide shape wants in Bonaire).
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the Firemove 110 i have read only good things

my concern for the OP was exactly what you, boardsurfr, say about the bigger Firemoves - NOT liked - as they may not carry the big fins and sails well
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apples and oranges here.
Skate is a dedicated top level freestyle board, like the TwinTip RRD's. Those are close in weight.
Fireride is a fast freeride board, like Futura (Starboard), Hawk (Fanatic), X-citeRide (JP), FunWide (Naish..might have gotten that one wrong). As such, it's weight is right in the ballpark for a fast freeride board for recreational sailiors.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're talking RRD's, what about the RRD FSW 116 ltr V2(2012-2013). Looks like those have some decent width (80cm) and large sail range.

Anybody try this one yet and have any feedback?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: