myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
good season so far :)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Rexi
Obviously family responsibility always come first, but with good time management and a little luck you can still squeeze many good session in. I have been doing it for ten years now.
I have always believed a happy dad is a better dad. I feel sorry for people who have no hobbies or passions, I truly believe they make you a healthier person.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rexi, what an interesting place to live and windsurf, how cold is the water? How thick a wetsuit? Many other surfers or windsurfers? Is there much marine life such as sharks? From the chart the wind seems very variable.
I too live on an island and having a breakdown and being swept out to sea and carried away if sometimes in the back of my head, is this a concern in Iceland?
rexi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many Vulcan attempts before i landed one? - I honestly don´t know but many.. I started working on it on my waveboard and it took a few sessions before started to be able to slide backwards. Then i thought "I´m almost there" that was not the case.. I kind of got stuck at that point on my wave board, sometimes could do the handswitch and set up for the new tack but never finished the thing. So I just stopped trying and started working on switch sailing for some time and then got the freestyle board. When I got that I landed one pretty quickly but I´m still having problems with my consistancy. I find that trick f** difficult!

And regarding Iceland.

How cold is the water? In summertime it gets up to about 10c / 50 fahrenheit and in winter it goes down to about 0-1c (freezing)

How thick a wetsuit? I use 4mm in summertime and a 6/4 in winter

Many other surfers or windsurfers? Not many, windsurfers about 10, Kiters about 5 and surfers less then 30 (active ones)

Is there much marine life such as sharks? Not sharks, mainly seals that I come across and they scare me enough Smile

is this (being blown out to sea) a concern in Iceland? Depends on spots but yes it is. Not in most of the spots in Reykjavík but for the wavespots in Reykjanes this is a concern along with difficult launch sites and rough lava coastline if you fuck up your entry and exit points you can get in trouble.

In general windsurfing in Iceland can get quite good and very windy. During sept-november you can sail (<5m2)about 4 times a week if your dedicated then from dec-march you can still sail but sometimes have to wait for the right days for the temps to go above freezing and april- early june is also windy. Summertime is not very windy although i usually get about 3-5 days a month with less than 5m weather and if you are ok with sailing with 6m sails and bigger you can sail a lot more. There are a few fjords up north that deliver about 6m weather 4-5 days a week most of the summer.
rexi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stoke continues Smile

since my august loop attempt i have been sailing in new spots with quite big waves, sailing flatwater or been totally overpowered on my smallest kit so had not felt confident to go for another loop until yesterday.

Sailing with my 5.0 sail and with a bit of chop I went for a few proper attempts probably 6-8 and most of them ended with a back slam or some kind of ass-landings, almost managed to waterstart from one. And so far the experience has been pain free. (Which I can´t say for my road to the first Vulcan, still recovering from a Vulcan gone bad two weeks ago).

Those forward attempts sure are fun Smile
rexi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still more stoke!

First proper down the line day for me last sunday. Now i´m hooked!

After falling in the impact zone a few times I now have to browse the forum for some more tips on holding on to gear v.s letting go and stuff like that from the more experienced sailors.

Pic from last sunday, one of the pro riders visiting doing his thing.

IMG_1187.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  505.25 KB
 Viewed:  5220 Time(s)

IMG_1187.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: