myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bill Kline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Bill Kline Reply with quote

There have been a number of threads here regarding fins, but I see no posts by Bill. G-sport obviously is defunct. Did they kill Bill?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Kline Reply with quote

Bill is alive and well, I saw him a couple of Months ago (in Utah).

-Craig

sailingjoe wrote:
There have been a number of threads here regarding fins, but I see no posts by Bill. G-sport obviously is defunct. Did they kill Bill?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill's a stoked, knowledgeable, very fast sailor, but does tend to push his own stuff a little more than necessary.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He took some flak for his salesmanship on the internet. Athletics and sporting goods are funny areas of business. I remember when I worked for a Golf Pro retailing. He was an old fellow and his wife ran the business. I don't think he had hit a ball in years. Whatever, they folded their stores. I took a job with New Seabury here on The Cape (That's sort of like The Country Club in Brookline) in their clubhouse kitchen. It's a great location for windsurfing, but all private property. Once I was an employee, I had a terrific situation. The Green's people let me drive down the cart paths and unload my gear at the beach. When it came to Golf, I had bought a new set of clubs while with the previous employer and was excited about using them on the New Seabury course. When they rolled out the red carpet for me, a lowly dishwasher, I was totally flabbergasted!!! The pro shop people said I could use their rentals and demos which were clubs of the best quality. If I wanted a cart, one was always at my disposal. I had no use for my new clubs which gathered dust in my basement. Eventually I was laid off as a summer employee, but my privileges continued. The pro and superintendent were my friends. I could jump on the course anywhere and play as a single during the week. I continued to sail through the fall. No one bothered me when I went into the kitchen after hours and fixed myself something to eat. They continued to serve me beer at the bar for nothing. This continued for a much longer period than I had spent working there. Unfortunately, though, Charles Icahn bought the resort, and the New Yorkers forced me and my friends out.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
...me, a lowly dishwasher...

All those years at Dartmouth College to be a dishwasher?

sailingjoke wrote:
...I was laid off as a summer employee...

Brucie, the word is spelled F I R E D.

sailingjoke wrote:
...forced me and my friends out.

Wait . . . . . . . . you had friends?
MrFish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Sport website is still up.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrFish wrote:
G Sport website is still up.
It hasn't changed in seven years. Bill also had trouble with some internet posters regarding deliveries he had promised which never came through. I think Curtis stopped making fins, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: