myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the FAQs at the website to find out the reasons for the Friends of the Hood River Waterfront's opposition to the cable park. The facts are very different from what the proponents of the cable park have been saying:

http://www.publicwaterfront.org/
puppydog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went down to the basin and it sucks!
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
I went down to the basin and it sucks!

Puppy - Yes, we all understand that for you, The Basin "sucks." Good thing you don't have to be there if you don't want to be.

Sorry you're so bored with Hood River.

I hope you can find something fun to do today.

puppydog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about me!
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you oppose the Naito proposal for a cable park in the Hood River basin, please sign the petition opposing it at:

Also, you can submit written testimony opposing the cable park at any time to :
PortHR@gorge.net
and Michael McElwee, Port Executive Director at:
mmcelwee@portofhoodriver.com

Ask to have your email testimony circulated to all of the Port Commissioners

Thanks for your interest in this all important action for the future of the Hood River waterfront.
puppydog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if your for it?
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
And if your for it?

Puppy, if you're for it, go seek out like minded folks, or make an appeal on this forum and others like it.

Links in this string include info on how to make public comment to The Port, no matter your position.

My appeal is to oppose the development of a cable park in The Nichols Boat Basin.

Enjoy your day.

TBird

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos11 wrote:
As an environmentalist, its important to pick your fights. The proposed Nestle water bottling plant in Cascade Locks comes to mind.

I'm with you, Karlos. The Nestle bottling plant and the coal trains strike me as a much bigger threat to our quality of life.

I consider myself an environmentalist, but there's nothing natural about the boat basin site--the whole area is infill and formerly housed industrial uses. I don't really have a strong opinion about the cable park; I just wish we could somehow get the place cleaned up. And CU Sailin is right--whatever your position, use the public hearings to make your case. Mocking other people and their opinions doesn't accomplish anything.
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tbird,

The Columbia river keepers are spending almost all of their time dealing with the coal train issue. A group from Portland is working on the Nestles water issue.

Fun Fact... it takes 1.85 gallons of water to manufacture the plastic for the bottle in the average commercial bottle of water

http://www.treehugger.com/clean-technology/how-many-gallons-of-water-does-it-take-to-make.html

The Basin was once the Hood River Delta. It was bulldozed, the river diked and then the basin dug out. While slack waters are not always natural it is now a very import part of the Columbia river ecosystem. While not ideal it is in fact a very natural place now teaming with wildlife. FOTHRW are not suggesting that it be restored to it's original state but that we preserve the habitat that has recovered there and formed in the last few years. In the interest of both the salmon smolt habitat and the bird habitat we feel that it does not need to be developed with a cable park in order to "clean up" the basin and make it a more desirable place to spend time.

With the hotel and commercial building on the south bank of the basin being developed in a sustainable way and the west bank being developed with public access, pathways and beaches in mind we can make the basin amazing without a cable park.

Just think how frustrating it would be if the development goes through and we have a beautiful basin that is for exclusive use only. We don't think that is right. Exclusivity of the basin is what we are fighting.

Keep the basin free for all to use. Public waters for all the public!
Derek
Friends of the Hood River Waterfront.
[/url]
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird wrote:
karlos11 wrote:
As an environmentalist, its important to pick your fights. The proposed Nestle water bottling plant in Cascade Locks comes to mind.

I'm with you, Karlos. The Nestle bottling plant and the coal trains strike me as a much bigger threat to our quality of life.

I consider myself an environmentalist, but there's nothing natural about the boat basin site--the whole area is infill and formerly housed industrial uses. I don't really have a strong opinion about the cable park; I just wish we could somehow get the place cleaned up. And CU Sailin is right--whatever your position, use the public hearings to make your case. Mocking other people and their opinions doesn't accomplish anything.

Tbird & Karlos - You guys are right. The coal trains and bottling plant are important issues. They are not, however, issues that are being brought to The Port of Hood River for consideration, and are not developments proposed for The Hood River Waterfront, which are the reasons i created this post.

No doubt The Basin is man made, While The Basin has been used for industrial purposes in the distant past, it is no longer the case. I frequent The Basins shores and waters and observe an abundance of urbanized wildlife there whose habitat could be impacted in a much lower impact way - maybe even enhanced - via a lower impact development strategy that DOES NOT include a cable park.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: