myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tweeky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kai Lenny Grom Event In Hoof River. Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
Check this out and start at 5:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LNnr5vWUw

Its a great vid... not really sure what point you're trying to make with it though in regards to the basin...
bensound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: are cableparks cheaper than other water sports? Reply with quote

One of the arguments advanced for the cable park is that its much cheaper than other water sports.

But the argument has been framed all wrong. People have been comparing a single trip to a cable park at $50 ($30 for 2 hours plus $20 rental) to the costs of buying a full windsurfing/kiting setup or a SUP.

Yes, $50 is less than a $1200 SUP. But presumably, people who buy the SUP use it more than one time.

Compare apples to apples. Most people who windsurf or kite here do it a lot--the equivalent of a season pass. Season passes at cableparks range from $600-1,200 a year with an average of $865. Basic board and binding combos are around $600. Throw in helmet and vest for another $100. Add it all up ($1,565) and it looks a lot like the other water sports. If you want to do it enough to get good at it, it's expensive.

I will grant that it's cheaper than a $30,000 boat.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Kai Lenny Grom Event In Hoof River. Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
CUSalin wrote:
Check this out and start at 5:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LNnr5vWUw

Its a great vid... not really sure what point you're trying to make with it though in regards to the basin...

yeah... sorry... comments didn't make it in. Starting at the 5:50 mark are images of how many kids were participating in K.L's paddle clinic at The HR Waterfront last month.

Cable park proponents often reference how great thier proposed park would be for kids. Point is that there are plenty of other options that currently exist for kids.

tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Bensound, I didn't really think that the financial argument was a good one... windsurfing, kayaking etc can be pretty affordable once you have the gear.

CUsailin, I get what you're saying, but I think its a good example of how different perspectives will interpret the same event. When I watched the video it reminded me of how many times I've heard the anti-cablepark side say that the basin is the only place suitable for paddle-boarding, especially for kids... and yet the video shows all these kids right out on the Columbia.

I know you guys have the meeting coming up, and I'm really on the fence with the whole thing. For me, I think the strongest argument against the park is just that its not a good "fit" for Hood River... the other arguments are pretty weak, just in my opinion. But good luck, and I hope it works out so that everyone is happy, or at least content.

(by the way, I did appreciate Derek Bell's response to my question I asked earlier.)
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
Yeah Bensound, I didn't really think that the financial argument was a good one... windsurfing, kayaking etc can be pretty affordable once you have the gear.

CUsailin, I get what you're saying, but I think its a good example of how different perspectives will interpret the same event. When I watched the video it reminded me of how many times I've heard the anti-cablepark side say that the basin is the only place suitable for paddle-boarding, especially for kids... and yet the video shows all these kids right out on the Columbia.

I know you guys have the meeting coming up, and I'm really on the fence with the whole thing. For me, I think the strongest argument against the park is just that its not a good "fit" for Hood River... the other arguments are pretty weak, just in my opinion. But good luck, and I hope it works out so that everyone is happy, or at least content.

(by the way, I did appreciate Derek Bell's response to my question I asked earlier.)

Thanks for your thoughts and support Tweeky. Yes... event was at the waterfront park because of the developed shoreline.

If it had been a typical windy day the kids compitition (in the water) could not have taken place at The Waterfront Park, and The Basin would have been more suitable. In addition 10 times the amount of kids they expected showed up, exemplifying the potential.

CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot off the press: Port Commission President and Hood River Mayor have come up with a proposal to end the wrangling about Nichols Basin. The plan is that the Naitos drop the cable park and instead the west side of the basin (from the east side of the road to the shoreline) would be developed as a sort of linear park. The plan includes a pedestrian esplanade from the Hood River museum to the Event Site, more water access, a mix of recreation-based commercial activity (kayak/SUP lessons and rentals), and habitat restoration. The thought is that this beautiful public amenity will act as a catalyst for development at Lot 1. The basin would be improved at a much, much faster pace than it ever would if the cable park went in.

More details http://hoodriverbizbuzz.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: