myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Sup Reply with quote

They would prefer a sup. Have you ACTUALLY been down there on a hot day and seen all the paddlers? By the way HOW MUCH are lift tickets going to cost for the cable park? And I assume you will need you own board or you can rent one for a small fee.
Paddling is almost free once you own a board. Lift tickets are not.
puppydog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat basin is my 1st stop on a 100 degree day for fun...right
starfish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: not your first choice Reply with quote

It might not be your first choice but it is for a lot other people. You are not the only one who matters.
[/i]
phazle5499

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sup in the basin for free. For those kids who want to get dragged around in the cable park, it will cost you $60 for an all day ticket or $20-30 for a 2 hr. ticket. If you have to rent equipment, it will be another $20 dollars. Don't imagine there will be too many kids taking trips around the cable for $80 per day. After the initial excitement--"been there, done that".
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two biggest problems with SUP is it's boring as hell, and there is no air time!

I think more and more people are losing interest! I've tried it, but after 20 minutes, its millertime!

So, what would the area retailers prefer to do, sell 20 SUP boards per year for the next few years as the sport fades, or sell 200 wakeboards a year indefinitely?

A cable park in Hood River would be sweet!
trburl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a cable park is an acceptable addition to the HR waterfront, I would think that they could also add a permanent Ferris wheel, TiltaWhirl, Bumper boats, and where the hell is my cotton candy?

I mean seriously, if you're going to entertain stringing up towers and power for the cable park why not add the commensurate forms of physical entertainment for the masses?
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you just have to experience a cable park to understand. The towers aren't that big and the operation is extremely quiet. It is a radical, action sport!

It doesn't matter that much to me one way or the other. I guess people have just seen so much change in Hood River, they try to get in front of it and stop anything else from happening. I get that! But I will never get SUPing without surf!!!
CUSalin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos11 wrote:
And, of course you could also give comments in favor of the cable park. Every windsurfer I've talked to is excited about the possibility of another fun activity for kids (and grown-up kids) in the Hood.

Of course, The Port is open to all comments in favor and opposed to this project, but that is not my appeal to this Forum’s readers.

Some I know are supportive, but most are opposed, or just plain unaware of the proceedings. I guess it just depends on who you are and who you hang with.

My observation is that those supporting the proposed cable-park fall into two camps – those who stand to make $ on it, and those (like yourself) who think it might be “…another fun activity,” (maybe both in your case?)

But so what if it is fun? And at who’s expense – the great majority of The Public who would not use the cable-park, or have to look at it scarring The Waterfronts shoreline?

I feel I must point out that there is a substantial and growing number of Hood River Residents, their families, and visitors who already have found other “….fun activities” to conduct in The Basin’s waters – SUPer, kayakers, floaters, swimmers, fisherman, pedestrians and wildlife observers to name just few.

My personal observation is that this broad demographic of users and potential patrons to proposed commercial developments along The Basins shores is growing and increasing their frequency of visits to The Basin.

In addition, leasing The Basins waters to a commercial operation that restricts access to most of its surface is somewhat dubious and would most certainly attract legal action if approved.

I believe that The Port, Naito Development, future commercial/retail tenants, and their patrons would benefit far more by engineering development that attracts a broader, more sustainable, lower impact demographic.

Most of all, I HIGHLY encourage all reading this forum and their friends to go down to The Basin this weekend and walk its shores. See what’s going on down there. Walk its shores. Cool off, watch the Osprey fishing, and envision this potential gem’s potential for all.
Then image the alternative = multiple 30+ ft. steel towers in a restricted (fenced off?) space that takes up 2/3rd + of the area and restricts public access.

CUSalin’

karlos11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
scarring The Waterfronts shoreline

I think the big Hampton Inn is what will scar the shoreline. But no one opposes that? Here's a pic of the proposed cable park FYI

There will still be room to kayak/swim/sup/windsurf on the north end...it's funny how no one was ever in that basin until this proposal was brought forth.

I don't care if it goes in or not personally since i don't wakeboard and hate sliding on stuff. It's just odd how strong the opposition is to 'protect' a basin that didn't get any use (until this year), and isn't natural to begin with. As an environmentalist, its important to pick your fights. The proposed Nestle water bottling plant in Cascade Locks comes to mind.
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our the site for the Friends of the Hood River Waterfront.

We have worked hard to try and get the facts out there so those of us who live here can make an educated choice about this development.

Weather you are for or against the cable park or hotel please get educated and participate. Our community will change regardless of what happens but we get to decide how.

http://www.publicwaterfront.org/

Check it out and the proponents website and get involved.

Regardless of how it ends up we should be invested in our community one way or another.

Derek
Friends of the Hood River Waterfront
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: