myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help me identify my board!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Help me identify my board! Reply with quote

Hi guys, just started windsurfing a couple of months ago. Had a bit of a challenge with my "Frankenstein" gear setup, getting a matching set, etc. Anyway, I ended up with older, slightly crappy but perfectly usable gear. I'm on a 130L board.

My next purchase was likely to be a CF boom and non-crappy sails. And what do you know, I just picked up yesterday on Craigslist, 6 (yes, count them) newish and near-new sails, 2 booms (large is carbon fiber), and a board. All for free.

Anyway, the board has no obvious markings as to its size. It looks to be about 110-120L, between the sizes of my 100 and 130 boards. On the back, it's signed "JF '99", which must be designer/manufacture date, of this custom board. The logo is "Forsyth design".

Anyone know more about this board or want to guess volume?
I'm just a bit reluctant to go out a significantly smaller board until I get some more practice on my 130.

Thanks!

ws.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  34.8 KB
 Viewed:  18954 Time(s)

ws.jpg

spennie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's a Forsyth Design, made around 1999.

Very sorry, my evil smartass side just took over my body temporarily, I'll try not to let it happen again.

mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Oh, that's a Forsyth Design, made around 1999.

Very sorry, my evil smartass side just took over my body temporarily, I'll try not to let it happen again.

Don't worry, they have pills for this.

I'm an expert in many things, it's just windsurfing isn't one of them. If you want to rag on me, go right ahead Wink
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ragging, joking, too good to pass up.

Notice that NOBODY has been able to ID that board yet, even the "experts" on this forum. I've been windsurfing for 22 years, never heard of that one, so give yourself a break!

mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board was made by John Forsyth who at the time lived in Redwood City and sailed mainly at Coyote Point and 3rd Ave. I had 4 of his boards dating from 1992 to 1997. His boards were all custom so it is hard to know what the volume was. The smallest one that I had was 8'8" long and 21.25" wide and the largest was 9'6" and 22.5" wide. I would estimate that the smallest one was about 90 liters and the largest between 110 and 115 liters. The boards were very light and fast and seemed to ride well in the SF bay chop.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://www.sfba.org/newsletters/may97.html :

Quote:
Peter has been selling custom boards for John Forsyth for many years. The boards, which are epoxy with a foam core and can come with glass cloth or carbon overlay, run from $1250 each and can weight from 11.5 lbs to 15 lbs. John Forsyth lived in the Bay Area for several years and was previously a shaper for Dill Sailboards up in Oregon. Two years ago John moved back to Oregon, but still designs custom boards especially designed for sailing in the Bay Area bay or ocean waters.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to be in nice shape. Post more pics with more info, Lenth,width and a pic of the bottom.

no doubt you willl hear that short and wide is easier to learn on, but if you can stand and up haul on your boards you can get it done.
mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned before the boards are light but they are also quite fragile. A crash will easily break off the nose of the board. If that does happen just cut it off add a bit of radius and some glass and you will give the board the new modern nose look.

Also the boards have an EPS core. Make sure that the vent plug is closed and check the condition of the O-Ring. Your 14 pound board will quite soon will weigh 20 pounds if you let any water seep in. If ithe O-ring looks old or is cracked you can find replacements at Lowes.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
It looks to be in nice shape. Post more pics with more info, Lenth,width and a pic of the bottom.

no doubt you willl hear that short and wide is easier to learn on, but if you can stand and up haul on your boards you can get it done.

15lbs. Width 22", length 105". Very similar size to my 100L, but quite a bit lighter.

mark wrote:
Make sure that the vent plug is closed

Honestly not sure where that is.

Anyway, I'll be taking it for a spin this weekend at Berkeley Marina.

IMAG0065.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.27 MB
 Viewed:  18843 Time(s)

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.56 MB

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.49 MB

IMAG0063.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Buy&Sell, slalom boards, for hints at the volume of your board. Couple of those boards on there for sale.
I rig at the lowest dock, will be there Friday, likely not Sat as it's CalCup day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: