myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help me identify my board!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a sweet looking board. You really just started ws two months ago? I'd almost want to keep it for special occasions. Learning is really tough on gear.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
Thats a sweet looking board. You really just started ws two months ago? I'd almost want to keep it for special occasions. Learning is really tough on gear.

Yeah, I know. I'm far more concerned about my safety right now, and some of my stuff is looking even more beat up now (some of my old sails have repairs in them). But some of those older sails are a PITA too, since they have so many damn adjustments, and take forever to rig.

I had figured to simply run it all into the ground when I was learning, then get some nicer stuff, but this showed up.

I had some lessons a couple of years ago (and I did it at school for a bit, but that hardly counts), but yes only two months really. I'm out there looking slightly less crap than the noobs at Cal Sailing Club (or course, they have big ass 180 boards to balance on, which is indeed what I originally learned on).
mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vent plug is just in front of the mast track. It would be a good idea to remove it and check the O-ring.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for short low volume boards, it's a really good idea to have mastered the water start. They only sail well when powered up. I've got miles of the slow sclaggg back to shore when the wind dies, under my belt.

Do you have access to nice tough floaty board? That Forsyth has a pretty nice pedigree and lots of fun in it. I've knocked more than one nose of a board off.

Have fun learning.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Look at Buy&Sell, slalom boards, for hints at the volume of your board. Couple of those boards on there for sale.
I rig at the lowest dock, will be there Friday, likely not Sat as it's CalCup day.

Hm, what's the deal? Will this dominate the marina like the kite festival? Better to go Sunday?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where were you yesterday? Nice light 14-21mph breeze all the way across, only 4 sailors out total, including 2 beginners, but 6 Formula guys way outside.
CalCup is a local Formula race series, held at Berkeley, that uses up the whole upper astroturf rigging area with about 20 sailors, but all huge sails. They share the area with everyone, of course, but it's nice to avoid that rigging area from noon till 4.
Since most wind is 2-5 for us shortboarders, they do take up a bunch of the time, but we can rig there after 4 when some of the guys start to leave.
Measure exact length and width of that Foryth to get an idea of it's actual volume. A typical 9' x 22.25" would be about 95 liters.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg wrote:
So for short low volume boards, it's a really good idea to have mastered the water start. They only sail well when powered up. I've got miles of the slow sclaggg back to shore when the wind dies, under my belt.

Do you have access to nice tough floaty board? That Forsyth has a pretty nice pedigree and lots of fun in it. I've knocked more than one nose of a board off.

Have fun learning.

Well, I did take it out Saturday. The difference with my crappy 130L is night and day. I can uphaul it no problem, but the waves picked up, and I'd made a hash of rigging my 4.4 sail that day, so had problems keeping the nose up. Seems like it wants to "go" just like that and plane right away, versus my old board which I've almost never planed.

Anyway, I'll keep it at home for a few weeks more until I get just a bit more practice - I went out on Sunday too, still having problems going downwind at Berkeley. I had tried to rig one of my "new" sails, a 5.0 sailworks, but it turned out to be junk (holes in the sleeve, battens sticking through), so ended up using a very nice 5.9 NP, which was about right for the conditions for a noob. And on that note, I can recommend low tide too, you can reach bottom quite a way out, which makes it easy if you get stuck anywhere.

Finally, I have a 100L Tiga too, which I've never taken out, so I'll probably try and get rid of that. Just one too many boards for my patio.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad I missed you on the weekend.
That JF is sweet. 1999 was a very good year for fast boards. My '99 8'10" MikesLab is still one of the fastest boards in the water, any given day. Even with me on it handicapping it with small sails.
This weekend was a bust, so maybe I'll see you next. I drive the big Blue old Ford Van, chugging along just before it's last days.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Forsyth is a keeper. Don't let its age fool you. I'm with LeeD (zirtaeb) that 1999 was a good year, and Forsyth was accomplished designer/builder. Like LeeD, I also have a 1999 ML 8'10" that Mike delivered in late December the same day as a similar one he delivered to Kevin Pritchard. Kevin won the 2000 PWA World Cup against Dunkerbeck using Mike's boards badged as Bics. That board is still arguably my favorite, and it still weighs in at about 11.5 pounds after all those years.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
That Forsyth is a keeper. Don't let its age fool you. I'm with LeeD (zirtaeb) that 1999 was a good year, and Forsyth was accomplished designer/builder. Like LeeD, I also have a 1999 ML 8'10" that Mike delivered in late December the same day as a similar one he delivered to Kevin Pritchard. Kevin won the 2000 PWA World Cup against Dunkerbeck using Mike's boards badged as Bics. That board is still arguably my favorite, and it still weighs in at about 11.5 pounds after all those years.

Someone has another FS board up for grabs:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/spo/3228092245.html

Hard to tell, but looks in pretty good shape.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: