myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
upwind grrr
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your back foot out and in front of the backstrap, you lose a surprising degree of speed potential. While the rockerlines of different boards can affect to a greater or lesser degree how much speed you lose, I find that with my slalom boards the difference is quite significant. Also, in the lightest of wind, that can be the difference between planing consistently or just slogging around.

My recommendation is get into the backstrap as soon as you can. As mentioned above, if you purposely bear off to get going and maybe pump the sail a bit, you can get into the backstrap and then drive more to windward on a beam or close reach. Also, once in the backstrap you can pump the fin a few times to pick your speed a few notches. After that, it's just a matter of playing the gusts and lulls to maintain your maximum speed.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how powered up you are.
Underpowered, you achieve higher speeds with the backfoot out of the strap, and that allows a longer planing surface area to lift at lower board speeds due to TOO SMALL sail.
Powered correctly, or overpowered, back strap is the way to go.
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I hit a temporary lull and need my weight forward to keep or begin planing, I take my front foot out of its strap and step forward as required, whether it's just in front of the front strap or in front of the mast. My back foot stays in its strap, unweighted if necessary, so it's ready to prevent a catapult and/or put the hammer down instantly when the next gust hits and to aid roll and yaw control. If that next gust isn't coming, then I'll move the back foot forward and slog normally ... if there's an important reason to be somewhere else.

Both ways skin the same cat, but mine also filets, grills, and serves it on a bed of spinach.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, different strokes for different folks.
My reasoning for back foot forward in less winds is to allow the board to get thru the chop cleaner, the board pivot point on your now close together feet, since you can't load the tail when underpowered.
Haven't been catapulted in easily 4 years, and the one then might have been no feet in straps accidentally hooked in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: