myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3rd ave - Thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boom broke in similar spots. I was able to flip the boom and sail in with the good boom arm (slogging putting only very light pressure on the boom).
Tip of the day: DO NOT put the uphaul loop around the mast base when rigging. Tie it to the mast base instead with rope. This becomes very critical when trying to flip the boom after breaking the boom. YOU DON"T WANT TO DETACH THE MAST BASE FROM THE BOARD IN CHOP and WIND, while removing the uphaul and flipping the boom. It's almost impossible to re-attach the base to the board. Take the boom off from the tip of the mast instead to flip the boom. The uphaul can also be used to help tie things together to sail in.

If your rescuer has a floaty board (unlikely in "high wind" 3rd ave), you can get towed in with the uphaul. But it's much easier to just jury-rig and sail in yourself as long as you have one good boom arm..
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good comments and discussion. I towed a guy in at Rio, not far at all, very hard work, somewhat exhausting and took a long time. It is not a good option really.
Thanks Carl for excellent tip about up haul tied to base-right on the money. I never thought of that-haven't used an up haul in years. I started putting one on my big setup tho.
Certainly worth looking at your gear with a suspicious eye, looking for possible failures.
Yes we do catapult, altho rarely-always an exciting moment. I have become very aware of getting overpowered going downwind like when trying to plane. This is what destroyed my shoulder, first at the weird wave at Kanaha some 5 years before, cost me my long tendon of the biceps (destabilized the shoulder joint) and then finally a big killer gust at Washoe just as I was going for the straps and had just finished a waterstart etc. In both cases one comes down very hard on the boom-this has been discussed before on the forum. Good way to break a boom also (or destroy a shoulder).
Helped a guy at Kanaha when his euro pin came out. He had tried to get it back in for 45 minutes, no one had stopped to help him, took two of us to hold everything and do it, he was very grateful.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd ave - Thanks! Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
YippieYo wrote:
the nice woman with the Ezzy sail who stayed with me and my gear out in the middle of the channel at 3rd Ave after I broke my boom

Sounds like Eugenia.

It wasn't Eugenia, but another woman who I see at 3rd every time I sail there... shortish with dark hair. YippieYo broke down pretty far out into the channel, so a tow back likely would have taken a very long time.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
radross

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out.

Last edited by radross on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
My boom broke in similar spots. I was able to flip the boom and sail in with the good boom arm (slogging putting only very light pressure on the boom).
Tip of the day: DO NOT put the uphaul loop around the mast base when rigging. Tie it to the mast base instead with rope. This becomes very critical when trying to flip the boom after breaking the boom. YOU DON"T WANT TO DETACH THE MAST BASE FROM THE BOARD IN CHOP and WIND, while removing the uphaul and flipping the boom. It's almost impossible to re-attach the base to the board. Take the boom off from the tip of the mast instead to flip the boom. The uphaul can also be used to help tie things together to sail in.

If your rescuer has a floaty board (unlikely in "high wind" 3rd ave), you can get towed in with the uphaul. But it's much easier to just jury-rig and sail in yourself as long as you have one good boom arm..

Can you take a pic of how to attach it? Little confused
bert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippys breakdown makes one wonder about one's own rig. Those of us who sail often and far from shore should evaluate when we need to replace our gear. Ours is not a ghetto sport and gear relacement is costly, but we really do need to periodically replace those components that take the most stress during sailing. I feel that boom and mast base replacement every 3 years and mast replacement every 5 years may be wise if you sail 100 days per year or more. Carrying a marine radio is imperative when we sail far and alone.
carl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

Sorry, I'm not a pic geek.
Just tie the bottom of your uphaul with a rope, so you can easily un-tie it. Detaching your mast base to flip your boom is a very bad idea offshore.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Not that it is important, but I thought it was Jerry-rigging. Jury rigging remains dirty politics. Nevertheless, I also have had a similar accident and was able to save myself like Carl describes. I was sailing alone in the Florida part of the Gulf. It was a long time ago and early in my windsurfing career. I went into Jim's Sail World when it was in the Boston area to replace the Bic Boom with something that wouldn't break. He gave me guarantees that the Chinook Alu he sold me would not. It hasn't after 15 or more years of use. Lately I have been carrying one of those Dakine specialized razors made for cutting one out of lines, too. You never know when you need a tool.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also quit rigging a uphaul when I realized that I never used it and could waterstart in any wind strong enough for slogging. After an incident or two, I have made it a practice to always carry an spare downhaul line, a bit on the long side. It is easier to access for emergencies than an uphaul and good for more things.

The spare downhaul line is tied across the back of my harness and is always there for the odd time it is needed.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
KevinDo wrote:

Sorry, I'm not a pic geek.
Just tie the bottom of your uphaul with a rope, so you can easily un-tie it. Detaching your mast base to flip your boom is a very bad idea offshore.

Recall that the usual uphaul line is built with loops at both ends. What this is saying is not to put the bottom loop of the uphaul line directly around the mast base. Instead, get another piece of cord (like downhaul cord) and tie it into a loop that threads through the loop at the bottom of the downhaul. Put that loop around the mast base.

You don't have to re-tie it every time you rig (just put the loop of the new cord around the mast base), but you do need to make certain that the knot you tie 1) will not come undone when you don't want it to come undone, 2) is still feasible to untie in the unlikely event that you need to detach the uphaul from the mast base while you're on the water.

At least that's what I'll try next time there's enough wind in the right direction to go out. Stupid eddy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: