myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3rd ave - Thanks!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YippieYo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: 3rd ave - Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi,

This message is to the nice woman with the Ezzy sail who stayed with me and my gear out in the middle of the channel at 3rd Ave after I broke my boom on both sides. I was probably not the warmest or calmest when trying to figure out what to do, but I really appreciate you holding onto my gear and talking to me while I jury-rigged my boom. I looked for you on the beach after I limped in, but couldn't find you to thank you in person.

If you're reading this - Thanks! I owe you one!

And thanks to everyone else who stopped, showed concern, and offered to help.
bert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it back okay. We always assume nothing will go wrong when we sail. If we do break down all bets are off, and and I'm glad that someone saw your predicament and was there help you.

bert
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your story certainly is of interest to those of us who leave land behind at 3rd and elsewhere. Details? Carbon boom? New boom? Are you a heavyweight or a lightweight? Jumping? Any warning? Etc.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good you made it in ok.
Carrying an extra length of rope for jury-rigging is a good idea.
I once tied the two boom arms together with the outhaul rope and sailed in. One arm broke in the front and it also broke off the clue end. Luckly the clamp was still attached to the other arm so I flipped the boom over and tied the 2 arms together.
koogzah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd ave - Thanks! Reply with quote

YippieYo wrote:
the nice woman with the Ezzy sail who stayed with me and my gear out in the middle of the channel at 3rd Ave after I broke my boom

Sounds like Eugenia.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken booms, both sides or either, most guys use the harness lines twisted in opposite directions, then an uphaul atop. Tuck loose ends tightly under the lines.
Sail in carefully and smoothly.
YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Your story certainly is of interest to those of us who leave land behind at 3rd and elsewhere. Details? Carbon boom? New boom? Are you a heavyweight or a lightweight? Jumping? Any warning? Etc.

Carbon boom? - Yes, Chinook Wave 135-185. Probably around 8-9 years old.
Me - lightweight - 155 lb., on a 4.7, in ~ 23g27 wind, powered

I was on my way out and had a hooked-in catapult at full speed - a rare, once-per-season sort of occurrence. I'm guessing that something about that action snapped the boom near the head. But it was not a painful fall really (just butterflies-in-the-stomach, oh-sh*t feeling of impending catapultage), so I don't think I slammed violently into the boom or anything. Just full-speed, to instant-stop I guess.... I checked myself over and all my limbs and organs seemed to be fine - I got 2 scrapes near my elbows from my deck. board, sail, mast were all fine. I turned around in the water and thought I would just sail back in with what I thought was the good side, but after sailing for a second, the rig collapsed, and I found that the tailpiece was broken on this side too.

So with the help of my aforementioned fellow sailor, I futzed around for awhile, and then took the approach of pulling out the broken shard of tailpiece, and putting the good side of the tailpiece into the good arm. So at this point, the tail of the boom did not wrap around the clew of the sail, but the two were lined up in the general area of each other. And I was then able to apply a bit of outhaul and creep back in.

I really wonder if there was a warning sign... thinking back, I sometimes noticed a creaking somewhere in the rig, but could not / did not localize it to a specific area. Boom seemed fine, and I had some concern about the corroding fasteners, but failure did not occur there. I think there was some tiny flaw in the fiber/matrix interface or small nick from rough handling, compounded by matrix and/or fiber attack from the elements. This led to some stress concentration which caused the failure at the head. I think when this failed, it created a big bending moment on the other side of the boom where the arms meet the tailpiece. I've often wondered about Chinook's approach of drilling the adjustment holes into the tailpiece after construction. it seems like a lot of fiber and matrix damage that's being introduced into the system. but at the end of the day, it was a great boom, but maybe just old...

But anyway, that's kind of what you get with composites. Great performance and strength-to-weight, but they can hide a lot of damage.

One thing that I'm very glad of is that I put an uphaul back onto my boom for this year. I haven't had one for years, but thought it would be good this year for light wind issues. In my jury-rigging, I had actually removed the entire boom, and having the uphaul was a great way to keep the boom from floating away from the rest of the rig.

photo 3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  836.7 KB
 Viewed:  16073 Time(s)

photo 3.JPG

photo 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  725.4 KB

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  655.48 KB

photo 1.JPG

damel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this event was an incredible display of the community that sails at 3rd ave. At least 4 other sailors offered assistance but it was really a job for 2 people. I feel much safer sailing at 3rd knowing how many good people will be willing to help if I find myself in trouble.

YippieYo wrote:

I was on my way out and had a hooked-in catapult at full speed - a rare, once-per-season sort of occurrence.

I want everyone to know that YippieYo is a really good sailor who is starting to break out some freestyle moves and if this happened to me I would have lied to all of you and said I tried throwing a forward or something. We all have 1 catapult per season ... I might be working on my 3rd actually ... its the sign of a good season Very Happy

jrosario

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you had an uphaul - it was too bad someone could not have towed you in using your uphaul. Long and slow but works.

Your post confirms that I need to replace my boom more often.

Glad to see all went ok for you in the end.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow windsurfers are such a nice group of people! What did you do to that boom!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: