myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board volume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that, I might carry 2 if I were going out to Roosevelt for a few days without a return trip, and I use a van for transport.

-Craig

p.s. I do own a truckload of boards though. ;*)

[quote="TBird"]
willysurf wrote:
I think two boards in the Gorge is more than enough. .
Carl2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one board and sail it 4.7- 3.0 . I weight 155 and use a starboard EVO 70 L, never change the fin. Used to carry a EVO 75 L around thinking that the extra 5 L would help in 4.7 conditions, with a larger fin. It helped only marginaly in low wind and was way less responsive in all wind conditions. You will adjust your sailing to make things work as you improve. Two boards 10 L apart should be fine for now. When the wind calls for a larger sail I move on to a nother sport.
starfish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Board size Reply with quote

Amen ward. I have two boards about 7 liters apart. Its more about width and shape. Lighter then 4.7 and I move on to another sport. Rarely sail a 5.3 And I am a heavy weight
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Board size Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
. I have two boards about 7 liters apart. Its more about width and shape.

Found this comment interesting, simply because its true for me also... two boards, 7 liters apart exactly, and yes, they sail quite differently. For me, the boards and sail quiver stay the same, its the location that I change to fit the gear, not the other way round. Also, everything fits inside my Prius.
danz1g

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 180lbs and ride my 2007 78L JP Freestyle Wave exclusively from 3.5 to 5.3 days. Carves great and planes up much faster than traditional wave boards.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster wrote:
Here is the actual link to the article from iso: http://boards.mpora.com/equipment-tests/tested-equipment/wave-test/waveboard-megatest-march-2008.html

Thanks, Rob. I went back and corrected my link. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that it didn't work, as I've posted it many times.

Mike \OO/
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I can't imagine a need for more than 3.

Thanks ISO.

Yer welcome.

But ... need, schneed. It's fun ... IMO ... riding different boards, even if they're all the same effective size.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
I want my Outback garaged which means only two boards on top.

I keep three boards and 4-5 full rigs inside mine, but if I wanted to take the cat she'd have to ride on top. Boards on top must gobble up a lot of dead dinosaurs ... if that's the origin of oil.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jota wrote:
mikephillips2011 wrote:
Before you go out, take a look at the forecast, wind graphs, and windcams to figure out if the wind is going to be light or strong. If it is going to be strong bring your small and medium sized boards. If it is going to be light, bring your medium and big boards.

Ouch - never leave something at home based on forecasts - you're guaranteed to need it.

That was my mantra for decades, too, but that has changed for the better this year. I usually sail from my RV simply because we used to get 2-3 days in a row of wind, so bed and kitchen were important. This year, however, virtually every windy day has been a solo event, and I live just an hour away, so all my trips but one have been day trips. The Outback is a helluva lot more fun to drive and cuts fuel costs by 65%, so it has saved me a grand in fuel, at the risk of needing gear I left behind.

Here's why that fits this thread and the OP in particular. I keep mid-range gear in the OB 24/7, and each windy morning I add one larger or smaller board and rig based on the updated forecast. I thought that would bite me too often, but only once has my stash gotten blown off the water, and I just borrowed a ready-rigged sail that day, so no loss. Until that pesky upper low stops messing with our several-day blows, I may just keep this up.

It helps to have the gear, confidence, and skills necessary to enjoy, not just survive, a very wide range of wind with a mere OB-full of toys. As long as the gusts aren't too big, I almost don't care how much sail I'm using ... partly because all my boards are wave boards that can soak up and manage excess power and remain in control with the hammer down despite far more sail than everybody else is using. That reduces the problems associated with paring one's load based on forecasts.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Board size Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
Lighter then 4.7 and I move on to another sport. Rarely sail a 5.3 And I am a heavy weight

At more or less your weight, I find that on a good 6.2 day the swell can get waist-to-shoulder shoulder high and very clean. That, not to mention my 5.7 and 5.2, buy me countless extra sessions each year ... such as 8 AM - noon out east just two days ago, alone on the river much of the time. Fantastic!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: