myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board volume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: board size Reply with quote

One board two or three sails. Its ok togo do other stuff besides windsurf.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly is the fashion for people to want to ride boards rated at a low volume. That's BS because the volume on many boards is figured by a dartboard on the wall and other things are more important than volume.

Maybe I could tell a difference of 10L in a small board, to answer the OP.

If you can't figure the wind for the day and make do with 2 boards, sorry about your luck.

If your on Vaca, sure, bring 4 or 5 boards. I can't imagine a need for more than 3.

Thanks ISO.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great info to process. I forgot to mention I am a bit of an environmentalist and drive 50-80 miles a day throughout the Gorge 4 days a week for work-related things. So mileage is an issue as is wasting gas produced by Middle Eastern people who screw with us behind our backs. Also, I want my Outback garaged which means only two boards on top. As someone said, there are other things to do besides sail. I get 50 days a season all in the Gorge now and have with just two boards. I would probably have to be divorced to get in more days and that is not going to happen. I just want to maximize my groove whenever I touch the water. Demo'd the 82L RW fish at the Hatch today on a well-powered 4.2 and it was pretty easy to dial in even with the moderate chop and only occasion nice swell.
willysurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey brettn,

I have the same feelings about my JP Freestyle 109. It's a tad bit bulky but it's a light wind machine and planes up with the slightest puff. I am also looking to pick up a slightly smaller 100L freestyle board and am currently lusting after a Fanatic Skate TE 99. I think that will be an awesome addition to the quiver. I will never get rid of my 109, though, as I love that board and it probably has the most range of any of my boards.

At the OP, you can definitely fit more than 2 boards on/in an Outback. I assume the RW Fish is a flatter, better planing shape than the PowerSurf- correct? If so, sounds like you found a winner.
mikephillips2011

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysurf wrote:
The first thing that I would recommend is to get a new car that is capable of carrying more boards..

You don't need a new car. Get 3 boards: small, medium and large. Before you go out, take a look at the forecast, wind graphs, and windcams to figure out if the wind is going to be light or strong. If it is going to be strong bring your small and medium sized boards. If it is going to be light, bring your medium and big boards. You only need to fit two boards in your car and this method works 99% of the time.

willysurf wrote:
I forgot to mention I am a bit of an environmentalist and drive 50-80 miles a day throughout the Gorge 4 days a week for work-related things. So mileage is an issue as is wasting gas produced by Middle Eastern people who screw with us behind our backs..

Stop worrying so much. Global warming is a scam and 9/11 was an inside job.
jota

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikephillips2011 wrote:
Before you go out, take a look at the forecast, wind graphs, and windcams to figure out if the wind is going to be light or strong. If it is going to be strong bring your small and medium sized boards. If it is going to be light, bring your medium and big boards.

Ouch - never leave something at home based on forecasts - you're guaranteed to need it.
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Simple Reply with quote

Put in a larger garage door opening. Then you can stack more boards on the roof of the car. Worried about mileage? Put everything in side the car. Things on the roof like racks,boxes. skis, bikes all effect mileage. Outbacks don't get that good of mileage anyway.
nada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-

I have the same board setup - 90liter RW fish and a 77 wave board - and weigh about the same, maybe a few lbs. less. I find that the fish sails much more like a corky 85 than a true 90 liter board and I sail it about 85% of the time. It can carry a 5.8 when it's light, sweet spot is 4.7./5.2, but it also works on a holey 4.2 day with a smaller fin. That board can hang on in a lot of wind.

The 77 is basically for 4.2 and down, but it could carry something bigger if needed. It's a true wave board but with more of an "eggy" outline that has the float under the mast track - key for shlogging it back when the holes get big or it craps out. I've had more traditional, gunny shapes but the margin of comfort really dropped when the wind did. Great when powered, much less so when not.

I had a 103 FSW as well and that covered all the bases, but I found that I rarely sailed it. Maybe 6 times a season. Maybe.

My solution is to simply rig .5 meters bigger, crank the downhaul, and go for it. It's gusty here and I think that having to complain about either the gusts or the holes at the end of a sesh is an elective decision one makes at rigging time.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
You seem much more conservative than me. Good for you. Even Temira is wrong some of the time and no forecast seems to beat hers that I know including IW which I have to pay to receive. I carry what I carry and if I can't manage with 2 boards and have fun 90% of the time I am doing somthing wrong or have the wrong gear. Some of us have kids and jobs which interfere with our sailing sessions. If I am working in Carson and it is blowing at the Hatch I am not driving back to HR to get the "right" board. Like I said, I have what I have with me at all times pretty much. At this point I have the info I need. Any more digression from the topic will get to be eye-rolling as most of these posts get. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm signing myself off of this discussion at this point.
TBird

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysurf wrote:
The first thing that I would recommend is to get a new car that is capable of carrying more boards. I am ~195 lbs and I always carry 4 boards at all time.

And that is why windsurfing is a dying sport...

Good grief, a new car and/or a new garage? Four boards at $2k+ each?

I think two boards in the Gorge is more than enough. Steve, I can't really answer your specific question, but have you thought about changing fins to expand your board's range? Swapping out a smaller fin on the 90L might make it a lot more manageable when it starts to buck you around. And it's a lot easier to carry an extra fin than an extra board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: