myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The real obama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RocRobster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mac"]
For Roc Robin, try this one:

Quote:
Mark 10:21-22 Jesus, looking at him, loved him and said, "You lack one thing; go, sell what you own, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."

as much of what you throw out there, this has no bearing on what I wrote.

The point of the verse you are quoting - Jesus knew the person's motives and saw his greed and told him what he was lacking to "enter into the kingdom of heaven". Not what he was required to do (liberty)under the law. As the man said earlier (in context there mac) he had kept all the law. He also has free choice in this life - God didn't make robots, we have choice that we make for ourselves, not people like you to force us to make them (tyranny). Jesus was not Forcing his will and demanding he give up all his riches. Do you see that or are you blind to that? He was showing what was lacking in the man's heart. He DID NOT tell the man to give the government all his money so they could do as they see fit.

So He would say the same to you! Why do you force your will on others by forcing them to do YOUR will mac? (..and why must you make light of a persons screen name like a 12 year old? does that encourage quality discussion?)
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,

I guess you think that I should not post if I haven't done due diligence in research. Some validity to that position, but I do feel that offering an opinion regardless of research is justified at times.

Clearly, we both can find support for whatever we want to believe and that's the rub. It's always hard to get the "real picture" and usually impossible to recognize it even when we see it. Our bias gets in the way.

My whole point in posting regarding welfare was to say that conservatives aren't necessarily opposed to it, but when it provides no motivation or a process to try to dig ones way out of governmental/state support, then the process needs to be re-evaluated. What I have found is that in its broad definition, welfare appears to be pretty complex, and WE all know that anything complex that is state or federally managed, is likely to be in a bit of a mess. I am big on simplifying/reducing/modifying programs so that they can be managed more effectively.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
I think the States CAN administer programs better, but in the real world they often do not.
If you find States deciding to be pedophile sanctuaries, would that affect your opinion of the states ability to do things better?
How about the present local governments who are deciding to give sanctuary to illegals?
Does that shake your faith at all in the competency of state gov.?
If a State decides to be a pedophile sanctuary I would not close the borders and break up the country, I would take away the states rights to do stupidness.
Or fail to give them those rights in the first place, for the good of my country.

having the ability to fail is freedom. Failure is often the overwhelming encouragement to do it better. The point is I have a say in my local community (sub state level) I do not have as much (if any) in Federal matters.
As far as today's competency, the point is moot as the states cower under the Fed. States have very little ability to perform the functions they did 150 years ago.
My whole point is also moot because people in this country have it ... (dare I say).... Too Easy. The vast majority have lost all that is important in exchange for their toys and government ensured safety. There are not enough people who believe in the founding principles but are buying mac's B.S. It is just a matter of time now. You can't push a boulder over the edge and then run in front of it hoping it will stop.

Last edited by RocRobster on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster--you shouldn't take the bad memory of an aging mind personally; I simply forgot your avatar. Trust me, you'll know when I am making fun of you.

It is amusing to hear right-wing evangelicals complain about taking the bible out of context. I guess I have to join the club to do that. The point I am making, which is in context, is that Jesus said far more about tending to the poor and the needy than he did about bombing Iran (or...). Somehow turn the other cheek and tending for the poor seem to be forgotten. What those on this forum who simply parrot RNC talking points don't realize, or ignore, is that the cuts of your heroes will have profound effect on women and children and the generosity of charities and churches is about 10%--or less-- of the need. So I see a lot of camels failing passage through a lot of needles. None of you have suggested how the poor get tended to if the Ryan cuts are made. Instead there is a bunch of hokum about how taxes for educating, housing, and feeding the poor is theft--but taxes for war and subsidizing different businesses are not.
RocRobster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

You have no idea of my beliefs other than states rights, I have not discussed my personal religious beliefs with you. You are pretending to be a Bible scholar? Jesus was talking to HIS people mac - clearly you have admitted and loudly stated that you are NOT one of his people. But as a lib/commy you must stick your nose where you have no clue in order to be a busybody. Typical tyrant. Mind your own business (or your very small community)and life is better for all.
Go help the poor - Heck, even tell me to help them, but come through my door to force me to practice your religion of big gov't and steal my childrens bread to do it, I will meet you with overpowering force.

Also, nothing about RNC BS even applies to me troll, my many threads - I am a kook, neither D nor R. Neither party is good for the nation in current form. But you did pick the worst of the worst - congrats.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roccy--you'll love Yeehah and Idaho. Have fun.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The White House denies any preferential treatment of/cooperation with the makers of the upcoming commercial movie of the bin Laden capture/kill raid.

Government emails proving otherwise are pouring out as we type.

Transparency, my ass. Who's playing Obama ... Denzel? Wonder if, by the time the movie hits theaters near you, Obama will be leading the mission ... as Dem Senator Shaheen of NH claimed in a prepared speech as she introduced the president from the president's dais?

What are the odds the movie, scheduled for release in December, will premiere just before the election ... such as Fri Nov 2 ... in selected critical battleground states?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biblical poor are not like todays poor. Todays poor have cell phones, food stamps and section 8, along with free medical care.

Today's healthy poor are poor in one department, spiritual. If the biblical poor had 3 squares a day, cell service, a dry apartment with running water, and a flat screen, they'd be called EMPEROR CAESAR
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the fact-free "liberty lovers". Would that you loved education as well, and had read the Federalist papers and knew the distinction between the weak confederation of states before the Constitution, and the authority vested in the Federal government under that document. Here are a few facts about the Ryan budget, and a basic source: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/08/the-poor-get-poorer-how-ryans-budgets-would-affect-ours/261043/

Quote:
Ryan slashes deeply, but he spares defense and Social Security, which, together, account for 40% of the budget. That means his $4 trillion in cuts come mostly out of health care spending, income security spending, and basic government duties. By 2023, Ryan would spend 16 percent less than Obama on income security programs like unemployment benefits and food stamps. He would spend a quarter less on transportation, and 13 percent less per veteran, according to Brad Plumer. Medicaid spending would be shaved by about a third, and the Urban Institute calculated that a similar proposal would force the states to drop between 14 million and 27 million people from Medicaid by 2021 (note: that's an extreme prediction). It's not clear exactly what programs would be cut, or by exactly how much. What is clear is that everything within the bundle of government responsibility -- from subsidizing science research to subsidizing education to keeping up national parks and law enforcement -- would come under pressure for cuts to make room for the massive and regressive cuts to taxes.

The rich, on the other hand, do very well
Quote:

"Those making $1 million or more would enjoy an average tax cut of $265,000 and see their after-tax income increase by 12.5 percent," TPC found. "By contrast, half of those making between $20,000 and $30,000 would get no tax cut at all."**

So, with the 400 richest families in the United States already having accumulated more wealth than the poorest 150 million combined, and having done so by shipping jobs overseas and hollowed out the middle class, we are to give them an average raise of $265,000 per year? And you think that is fair? And you think a camel will pass through the eye of a needle? Oh, I remember that you've already forgotten "judge not lest ye be judged", and have found that I am not one of God's chosen. You greedy folks brought your religious clap-trap to the table when you sat down, and I guess you get pretty thin skinned when I remind you that Jesus was pretty firm about helping the poor. Not stealing from them.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the theme of the Republican convention is We Built That. Too bad its based on a quote taken completely out of context. Here's the context...if anybody gives a shit. The intellectual dishonesty of the Republicans is what bugs me the most. But, then, they don't care, and you can't embarrass them. Ousting Obama is their only goal. And I think we all know the real reason.

Obama, July 13: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me — because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t — look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something — there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there. (Applause.)

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President — because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 29 of 34

Jump to: