myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Central Mass - Quaboag Pond review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Central Mass - Quaboag Pond review Reply with quote

I've been able to get in 4 sessions at Quaboag Pond in Brookfield, MA the past 6 weeks or so. I've found it to be a great spot, especially for an inland location, so I thought I'd pass on the word.

Although it's a "pond" it's quite large at 500 acres. There's great access with a boat ramp and decent sized parking lot at the North/NE end of the pond. (picture below looking South). There are a couple grassy areas in the parking lot which are full of dog poop, so unfortunately have to rig on asphalt. I've been there in S/SW/W winds. Of course, like any inland location, it is quite gusty, but the wind direction is fairly consistent, ie not much swirling. Planing all sessions (8.5 meter, 7.0 twice and 6.0 once). I don't know about the spring and summer, but in early fall, a weed fin is a must.

Looking at the topo maps, it seems like wind gets filtered up through the hills in the South, and gets funneled in through a outlet/break in the hills (Quaboag River) on the West side. I doubt it'd be very good for East winds, and haven't tried it in North winds (which would be off shore). Slightly muddy bottom, but shallow on the North side up to approx 100 feet out.

I've also been to Indian Lake in Worcester last year, and this location is SO much better. Much more consistent wind.

Anyhow, if you live in Central Mass and need a quick fix, try out this spot !
Hope to see ya on the water.

IMG_0883_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  355.82 KB
 Viewed:  18826 Time(s)

IMG_0883_2.jpg

greyghost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping this up for the spring season for Central Mass folk.

I was there yesterday, not so great for N/NW winds as expected (since launch is at the N end).

Very good in S/SW winds, good in W winds.
Haven't tried S/SE yet, but suspect that E would be +/-, and SE very good.
mattman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Quaboag! I used to go there whenever the winds were looking west and SW. Also the south and SE winds can come onshore. Nice launching area but also very weedy. I remember helping a couple out one evening that went there with a new jet ski that broke down because it sucked in weeds. Shallow lake so good for those who can't water start and gets pretty warm late in the summer.

Another weird thing I noticed from a lot of evening sesh's here is that there is an odd downsloping effect and just as the sun goes down the winds come up. Watch for that.

For a lake it has pretty good winds and agree... much more consistent than Indian Lake.

I just took a few minutes and built this new profile for this lake on WindAlert. Check it out: http://www.windalert.com/profile/214271.

Cheers,
Matt

Chief Operational Meteorologist
WeatherFlow, Inc.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Matt
cool re the new profile and thanks for the hints re the downsloping effect.
I've talked to a couple other people who used to sail there, but in my 20 or so sessions there have never seen anyone sailing on the North side. A couple times I saw someone on a very old rig way down the other end but way too far to meet up.

Quaboag has become my "home base" sailing venue...well at least the closest one since I still prefer Fogland or Kalmus.

just a note to others that there is a small area of weeds/beach just adjacent to the parking lot, (to the right if looking out to the pond). I've been rigging there the past year so I dont' have to rig on asphalt. There is also a sandy beach a few hundred yards down the road but I don't know if it's public or not. I suspect that it is, but can't find anything on the net about it.

formerly Greyghost
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty big lake!!! I have a friend that lives in East Brookfield and might check it out someday. What about motorboats, do you see any?
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, 500 + acres !
average 2-4 boats. Only have ever seen fishing boats and only when they come back to the boat launch. I've never seen anyone waterskiing or jet skiing. overall very little traffic

he/she should try it out some day
just one FYI that the shore road bridge is being repaired so you have to access from route 9 to the west

would be good to see others out there
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the map. They routed the Mass. Pike around that wetland area. I learned at Lake Chauncy in Westboro, but they made a big effort to close it to windsurfing by putting in a big chain link fence and Jersey barriers twenty years ago. Your lake is much bigger and probably "undiscovered". My brother and his wife own a house in Ware. I've never seen it and have to go this summer as I owe it to him. That lake would probably be good for ice kiting/sailing, too.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of people ice kiting there but have never been down there in the winter

Last edited by wsmtbskate on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaboag is a well known Iceboating and Iceboarding lake during winter.
Its quite reliable for clear ice.
I have posted 60+ mph there on my iceboard. Its plenty big enough for speed!

NW & W winds are best.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: