myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Euro-pin U-Tendon separation BEWARE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with shredbob, this had nothing to do with the euro-pin system rather a lack of tendon maintenance. Its amazing how many people break the tendon of their mast base and buy a new 100$+ mast base. At the beginning and midpoint of the season you should always inspect your mast base and make sure everything is tight and there is no wear and tear on the tendon. If there is any sign of wear buy a replacement tendon for 20$. It can make the difference between life and death and costs less than a tank of gas. I prefer the tendon universal joint because its more direct contact to the board. The rubber version is better for beginners because it isn't as rigid as the tendon version so it wont flip your board over when trying to learn to water start. Speaking of which I should probably inspect my mast base before heading out today Very Happy

Tendons.JPG
 Description:
http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/index.php?cPath=2_76
 Filesize:  31.65 KB
 Viewed:  16197 Time(s)

Tendons.JPG

bthiel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never buy a tendon system. They all will break in half over time. My concern is that bolt that holds the pin section. There is no way to really know if the loc-tite will let go until it does. I have never had the hour glass back out of the rubber. I lost my extension and hour glass but now I know never to buy a pin system. Sand gets into the pin hole every time I have beach rigged it. I end up fighting to get the damn pin to click-in. What a PIA that is when you can't wait to get in the water. PIA PLUS!
Tiger 5.8-6.3 Ezzy Wave 4.2-5.0( 6.3 FOR SALE)
See you on the water- Boyd
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bthiel wrote:
I know never to buy a pin system. Sand gets into the pin hole every time I have beach rigged it. I end up fighting to get the damn pin to click-in. What a PIA that is when you can't wait to get in the water. PIA PLUS!

Never have such problem with 2-pin cup.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bthiel wrote:
I would never buy a tendon system. They all will break in half over time. My concern is that bolt that holds the pin section. There is no way to really know if the loc-tite will let go until it does.

FYI, a rubber hourglass U-joint will break in half given enough time and use. Also, your hourglass U-joint is held together ENTIRELY by loc-tite. The bolt and stud that go into each end of the hourglass must be loc-tited otherwise they will unscrew in no time (it must be RED loc-tite also). Red loctite does not let go, so if things are coming apart, it's pretty much a guarantee that they were never loc-tited.

It all comes down to maintenance and using your head. None of this gear will last forever. Maintain it, replace suspect parts, and never sail farther from shore than you're willing to swim.

sm
Number-nine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using tendons with euro pins for 8 years in surf conditions and never had one break
Never had a screw break

Broke plenty of other parts but not that

The first generation of chinook pins were 2 parts and they had some issues.

Since they went all solid I have not heard of any problems

Also change the tendon every year. I think i have 4 and try to rotate 1 new and keep the last year one as a spare.
oldiemouldy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a related failure...my wife had the U-shpaed spring that provides the tension that keeps the two buttons engaged snap when whe was out too far to br seen at Kanaha some years ago-luckily got rescued by a non-english speaking Japanese sailor who was going way out ,too. The safety lines don't do you any good in that instance-I carry a length of spectra line in my harness for an emergency limp-in. Pop that spring clip out once in a while and check it! I also replaced all my tendons and bolts last winter.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oldie,

You must have been using a fiberspar, or other older style base. Try the Chinook "EX-pin". It isn't like the others that simply screw the pin onto the top of the base. The Chinook is one solid stainless piece, so it can never unscrew or have the little screw holding the pin on inside break off. I wouldn't sail a europin either for the exact reason oldie describes. Then Chinook came out with the "EX" pin a few years ago and problem solved. It's sooo much easier than connecting and disconnecting the bases with 2 buttons on either side, especially if you sail in colder weather wearing gloves. I've been on the EX-pin since they came out and never had a problem. The little rubber tendons are another story. Same goes for the hourglass kind. I always keep a backup on hand for about 15 or 20 bucks. but if you check before each session by bending the base side to side, you'll almost always see a crack in the rubber and catch the problem before you head to the water.

Happy sailing,

Mike Burns
Hurl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had them all break and sometimes the safety lines don't hold or break on the plastic ones .The webbing is the best safety on the hour glass. I suggest taking apart all tendons once a year and replace if needed. They crack by the pins and you can't see unless you take apart. There is no perfect connection. I mostly use chinook tendons with the solid stainless cups and pin in the winter and the 2 pin in the summer due to cold hands. When u-joints break and the safety lines hold, you end up with a damaged board sailing back, But your still alive and have equip. Buy a new tendon/ hourglass once a year to be safe. How much is your life worth?
oldiemouldy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Me,
it's my understanding that the EX pin IS a euro pin base. All of our extensions are US base cup, we have three sailors in the family, so replacing a bunch of extensions would get pricey and our bases are Chinook single pin US twist on's. Several are a decade or 2 old, with new parts, 3 are new a year ago, same style. They all rely on the same spring clip, though.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oldie,

Sorry, I thought you said in your post you broke the screw holding the top pin to the europin on. Reading it again, I realized you're alking about the rubber joint bolt.

On europin bases you have the pointy part on top that holds the base in the extension. Most brands use a screw to hold the top pin on which is why I thought you were talking about that screw when you mentioned the europin in the post. Chinook's EX is fully compatible with europin extensions only top piece is on the chinook is one solid piece preventing the breakage there. So many guys (myself included) used to snap off those pins like crazy with the old designs but Chinook seems to have solved the problem.

I now realize you're talking about the actual joint, which has nothing to do with the base being europin or not. Best thing to do is always check the rubber joint before you go out. I've saved many sessions over the years checking the joint before hitting the water by checking and changing out the joint.

Now if can score some more wind to break some more stuff we'd all be very happy Smile

All the best,

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: