myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Too much ibuprofen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster wrote:
my arms have been hurting since starting to WS again last May...

Why are you using your arms so much? STOP IT. Wink

They're for jibing, not reaching. As Jim said, nail those harness lines dead center, and use the booms as a place to hang your arms until you jibe. If I need one of my arms between jibes, I nudge my harness line(s) towards it until I no longer need to use that arm. If I use BOTH arms between jibes, I'm either doing something wrong or am trying in total vain to emulate Jim's incredible moves.

I must admit that this year's unusually gusty winds have ramped up the level of effort on the water, but even then the result should be quicker fatigue rather than soreness, at least for locals like yourself (I can understand why visitors who sail only here and only for a month each year get sore; that's called DOMS, and is due to overworking a previously sedentary muscle.) Your arm soreness can probably be fixed and prevented without drugs, maybe even easily and quickly, if you don't gut it out so long it becomes permanent.

Mike \OO/
RocRobster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about the harness line thing and do need to work on the adjustments but by the time I get it right I have to change to a different sail for conditions and start all over again. Is the solution to pair boom/lines with a sail and not use it for anything else?
Not my topic post so sorry for asking sub-questions in someone else's post. Sad
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post is right on topic, IMO.
Certainly having a dedicated boom for each sail helps the balance problem (and rerigging time and hassle), but it's not a total cure. Even on my dedicated booms I need to tweak harness line placement occasionally whenever I tune that sail slightly differently from last week or last reach. Until then, mark each boom for the sails you use it with. On any non-dedicated boom I write, with a fine-tipped pen, 4.2 or 4.7 or 5.2, etc at the appropriate center/balance point for each sail, as determined by sailing. When I rig my 4.7 on that boom, I just start out with my harness lines evenly straddling the 4.7 printed on the boom. It's really neat to jump on a freshly rigged sail and make that first hammered reach without having to place both hands on one side of the harness lines to sail in a straight line because the lines are off by some huge amount.

Here's the odd part. After sailing for hours, with both harness lines set EXACTLY where I want them, my port and starboard lines disagree by several inches.

HUH?
RocRobster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same HUH last week when trying to get the lines dialed in.. turned out the one side was off by at least 2 inches from the other side when they both seemed in the 'right' location...

Im also sure my arms soreness is due to sailing overpowered too much which takes me longer to get hooked in when riding the bull.

But the original question.... sailing out east.. what does that have to do with lessening aches and pains? less gusty? more consistent for longer periods?... ?
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RocRobster wrote:

But the original question.... sailing out east.. what does that have to do with lessening aches and pains? ...

Nothing to do with it - I think Mr Godsey wants the Hatch all to himself. Smile
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, sail OP'd -- many people comment on it every windy day -- but that helps us get harnessed in sooner and reduces slogging, and good sails remain stable when vastly powered up. Sailing OP'd in unusually gusty conditions is definitely fatiguing, but when OP'd in steady winds optimal fuel and fluids can keep many people fresh all day.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much ibuprofen? Reply with quote

LilPiggyTailPete wrote:
Having to take 6-800 mg before each sailing session. For me, knees and back. I'm 54 and fit and I see a lot of sailors out there older than me. Wondering what you folks are doing for aches?

Knees and back hurting could indicate that you are on too big a board and riding in chop or sailing at Celilo. Where are you sailing and how big are the boards?
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Too much ibuprofen? Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike wrote:
Knees and back hurting could indicate that you are on too big a board and riding in chop or sailing at Celieo.

That, plus bad shoes, bad arches, poor core strength, knee or back pathology, epoxy or flat-bottomed boards, insufficient deck pads, sailing posture, waist harness, rig ergonomics, etc.
LilPiggyTailPete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of gear, but for the most part follow the lead of these guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk9SYy5RRkM
philodog

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had constant mild but nagging back pain for years and did all the usual fixes (stretching, core etc) including lots of ibuprofen. One day a friend suggested I stop eating sugar. Now I am a confessed sugar junkie, it`s my heroin, I crave it constantly, but I gave it a shot and within two days all my pain was gone for good. I have no idea of the science behind this miracle cure but it was not just psychosomatic as not only did the back pain disappear but so did the chronic Golfer`s Elbow pain that was a constant companion to sailing hard. Diet is huge to a pain free life and hopefully someone else can benefit from this simple cure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: