myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Berky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this rare Berky?

Aerospoon hollow course board!

Believe it's full carbon and divinycell. Huge, a bit fragile but very light. Great build quality. Fanatic mast track. Can't imagine what it would cost to build this today. Photo shows beginning of restoration.

Seem to recall Berky was Tem Berkstresser/Pat LeMehaute collaboration.

IMG_0997 re-size.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.17 KB
 Viewed:  23865 Time(s)

IMG_0997 re-size.jpg

justall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ... That sure looks berky, with those sharp edges on the bottom. I thought I saw something like that when I was at Bird Island Basin a few years ago. What board is in the rack above that in the picture?

Oh, you might check a recent post in the general windsurfing forum on the AHD Tactik; its concept is a planing back-end and a displacement front-end. The Berky you show is probably all flat on the bottom?
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
Cool ... That sure looks berky, with those sharp edges on the bottom. I thought I saw something like that when I was at Bird Island Basin a few years ago. What board is in the rack above that in the picture?

Oh, you might check a recent post in the general windsurfing forum on the AHD Tactik; its concept is a planing back-end and a displacement front-end. The Berky you show is probably all flat on the bottom?

Aerospoon is probably most like the last-made F2 Lightning Race 380 except hollow. Flat bottom with razor sharp rails along the full length. I'm guessing volume about the same 290L and from around 1998 or so.

The board in the background is a 2011 Starboard Phantom Race 380.

Seen the AHD Tactik before. Interesting concept. Needs footstraps though!
BrucePeifer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: berky Reply with quote

lets show them off.
yea the new wide boards are easier to sail in all wind but the new shaped skis are easier to ski on to . however i dont use either.

any one looking for a very nice seatrend 9.9 with a fin

P1250207.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  445.14 KB
 Viewed:  23693 Time(s)

P1250207.JPG

BrucePeifer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: aerospoon Reply with quote

yes these were done from full carbon and a very thin E glass over to take paint.
not really hollow just very light closed cell foam. no wood stringers, usually only a balsa parallel at the fin box.
mine is due for new edges, i went from fla to colorado and back to pa and the edges poped,
these things will run with a down wind board
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: aerospoon Reply with quote

BrucePeifer wrote:
yes these were done from full carbon and a very thin E glass over to take paint.
not really hollow just very light closed cell foam. no wood stringers, usually only a balsa parallel at the fin box.
mine is due for new edges, i went from fla to colorado and back to pa and the edges poped,
these things will run with a down wind board

Mine is a slightly different design from yours. Here's a photo post-restoration.

Definitely mostly hollow. Had a small Chinook-style vent/drain plug in the transom which I replaced with a larger Ronstan dinghy drain plug. You can shine a flashlight in there and see inside almost down the entire length! Came with a Fanatic mast track and I just fitted a Starboard Phantom Race 380 centerboard.

IMG_1084 re-size.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.98 KB
 Viewed:  23649 Time(s)

IMG_1084 re-size.jpg

BrucePeifer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: berky Reply with quote

that is a different transom for sure, when i started there my first job was to throw out 30 or so old molds. some protos , some broken or worn out, we junked all the spoon molds, and patterns.
my big board is not hollow but it only weighs 15 pounds or so.
i dont remember seeing that mold so it might have been ditched earlier.
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: berky Reply with quote

BrucePeifer wrote:
that is a different transom for sure, when i started there my first job was to throw out 30 or so old molds. some protos , some broken or worn out, we junked all the spoon molds, and patterns.
my big board is not hollow but it only weighs 15 pounds or so.
i dont remember seeing that mold so it might have been ditched earlier.

This board is nearly identical overall design to the last 290L version F2 Lightning Race 380. Similar winger tail outline supposedly to get around the class max width rule. Looks like mostly divinycell construction. Maybe 1998? Very light but a bit fragile. Pretty tight despite being hollow and usually burp it a few times while sailing. Surprising how much air pressure can build up!

Rescue project saved from certain demise. Just finished restoring it. Was missing the original centerboard but the big Phantom blade fit perfectly just by relocating the pivot pin. Also countersunk the fin screw holes for a variety of reasons and added a dinghy-sized drain plug.
gemoore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Berky Reply with quote

I had a Berky 295 that, for a period of about 5 years, I don't think I ever was passed. Donated it to a windsurfing club, and I see it on the rack from time to time, but I don't think anyone rides it.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Spoons 82 and 104.
They were OK, nothing special, as I had Priesters and HyperTecks at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: