myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
stupid misnomers perpetuate in the media
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
The Right press is putting some effort these days in proving that Kerry was an elitist because he windsurfs a little and Romney is not because of whatever sport he prefers.
We were all amazed to discover during tne second bush term that windsurfing is a elite leftist sport, esp. longtime members of the GOP like me who finally learned to jibe. I bet Kerry and Romney cant jibe.
Kerrys instructor said he sucked.
Now that is a little harsh. Kerry could sail but never conquered a gybe before he took up kiting. Romney on the other hand stays fit, but he hasn't been involved in any sport enough to get press for it. The same goes for Obama. Kerry definitely belongs to the wealthy set, but so doesn't Romney. An old australian woman who lived in Logan Airport once said that Truman proved that anyone could be president. Obviously being rich doesn't get one elected.
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we get questions on the beach that seem silly to us, but hey, our sport is shrinking and is already not portrayed well in the media (either elitist or reckless), so I think the best game plan is to not act like jerks in response to questions. Smile, provide an upbeat answer, and if you don't feel like talking, keep it short and busy yourself with your equipment. But we need to be nice. Nice people were what encouraged me into this sport to begin with, and it's changed my life, so I'm grateful for those who answered my silly questions years ago.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie, you're right on about communicating with others. While many can't quite see the differences between windsurfing or kiting equipment, they're asking about things because they're interested, and/or impressed with what they're seeing. It's important to offer a positive view about windsports, whether it's windsurfing or kiting.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Answering in a positive manner. Reply with quote

I agree. Keep the answers positive. You do not know how it might affect their choices in the future. Such as maybe taking a lesson even if at a resort or on a cruise.

A common question I get is: "Is that fun?" I answer that it is tne most fun thing in the world.
watermonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
I find the most annoying thing people say is "that looks like a lot of work".
No shit Sherlock
Aren't most things in life a lot of work , from gardening , cooking , skiing ,and most other activities that are beyond a couch and a remote control. Good lord America get of your ass!!!!!!!!!

There I was, practicing jibing technique in my front yard with half a mast, boom, board and...

woman walking her dog: "y'know, that's a lot easier on water".
me: "uh, no, it's WAY harder on water."

I neglected to ask her for pointers...but I was nice, I swear.
benspikey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch and thank you for posting this. I laughed out loud..
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am nice to all. when i have time, virtually never, i even have an engaging pitch to those asking about the sport. when i vent my frustration on these forums doesn't mean i act stuck up or anything when asked about what i am doing. definitely, act like you are behind the eight ball when you need to get on the water ASAP.

just wish people would engage their brains a bit more before the blather starts. that comes from our media, and culture, unfortunately.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Utter pablum.

Would you please stick to more plebeian vocabulary? Your friends here have no idea what you're talking about Wink

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie wrote:
I agree that we get questions on the beach that seem silly to us, but hey, our sport is shrinking and is already not portrayed well in the media (either elitist or reckless), so I think the best game plan is to not act like jerks in response to questions. Smile, provide an upbeat answer, and if you don't feel like talking, keep it short and busy yourself with your equipment. But we need to be nice. Nice people were what encouraged me into this sport to begin with, and it's changed my life, so I'm grateful for those who answered my silly questions years ago.
The silliest questions I get are from windsurfers who want to know what everyone is using for sail sizes. It's dull, hackneyed and of little value to me. Usually, I tell the guy to go F himself. Sometimes I will pull my wang out and act like a jerk, though. You definitely right though, I should work on that. I know that I'm not as good as Jinglebells.
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe said:
Quote:
The silliest questions I get are from windsurfers who want to know what everyone is using for sail sizes. It's dull, hackneyed and of little value to me. Usually, I tell the guy to go F himself. Sometimes I will pull my wang out and act like a jerk, though. You definitely right though, I should work on that. I know that I'm not as good as Jinglebells.

I guess you wanted to stir things up a bit. Where I sail, all are nice, helpful and pleasant sailors, always willing to share sail size or any info. that would help the new arrivals get rigged right for the conditions. Where I sail, there is a wind shadow of about 300 yds so even when one has sailed there 100's of times, it helps to know who rigged what and what is happening on the "outside".

No one I know would ever consider NOT helping a buddy with any question. Life is too short to look at it through your a-hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: