myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast track to footstrap measurment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, Windsup is rated for up to 8M sail, it's basically a Kona.
It's primarily a windsurf board, flat tail, daggerboard, footstraps, powerbox.
It comes with a 44 cm fin, don't think that's for slogging.
Less powered up would mean closer distance between mast and footstraps while more powered up would mean a longer distance in general, concur?
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct and yes.
Oftentimes, sails bigger than 6 don't want to be dropped in the impact zone, so lots of sup riders, working the waves, only go to 5.5 for a stronger mast and boom that can handle the impact zone if anything bad happens while surfsailing.
Of course, the boards can easily handle 10 meter sails, but the masts don't like the bouncing around.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about using small sails in the surf zone, but there are no waves here right now, I'm trying to get planing and in the straps with 7 and 8M sails.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the larger the sail the more forward, or if one is using a long board. non-planing, and a larger sail one slides the base more forward.

i've used the stock fin, foot straps outboard and back, and a 9.0 base all the way back, lit. this board can go 12.5 sail if you wish. how far forward you want to run the base would depend on the conditions, and the sail.

base adjustments allow one to use the rail more for lifting upwind. same with the dagger. too much rail deters top end and turning. makes the fin and rail work against each other when planing too. helps cause excess fin detachments, either spin out or wash out.

this board is a kona one that is on steroids. super easy all the time.

bb, use more downward pressure on the boom with your hands.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
To interject a bit of realism, one of the primary issues of 2 bolt versus single bolt is about the range of adjustment. The value of 2 bolt really gains strength in wavesailing where on has a stout connection is most needed. While there can be an argument for the 2 bolt being safer, and there's a lot of truth in that view, it must be remembered that there's a loss of adjustment length in that choice. However, I've found that a viable adjustment range on most well designed boards is actually quite small, particularly for the normal sized sailor. Quite honestly, at least on my boards, I could use either the 2 bolt or single bolt designs with no problem at all with the range of sails used.
During Sunday's session, I used a single bolt screw-in base instead of my usual two bolt in order to try the board with a full forward track position. With modern freeride and race boards a few centimeters in mast track position will change your dynamic for sure. I did not like the setting full forward at all. In fact, changing the mast track setting on boards that do not have an on-the-fly ability is not my cup-of-tea. Once I find one that works for me, I don't change it. I'm back to the two bolt which makes life so much easier.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember also to move the booms higher, when you moved mast track forwards?
I see people using both all the time. I use singles because they've never broken in the surf for me, and I can move it minutely while on the water much quicker than I can a two bolt.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am not micro careful about my boom height when I rig. (I'm looking at my wine height in the large bottle in front of me, though.) To be honest, I'm comfortable with the Chinook two bolt system and use it for most of my sailing. I concentrate on board, sail and fin selection. If I change sails I might change the harness line position. I keep them long, however, and really don't change the length much. Nevertheless, often I can't remember which size I had been sailing last and might need to change the lines on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: