myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Check before gype!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Check before gype! Reply with quote

Someone just gybed and crashed into me without checking ahead of time. It was an accident but can be avoided. The other party did apologize and asked if I was ok. I was a bit shaken up with a dinged board and bruised calf. Overall I was fine and hey It could have been worse.

It is about being SAFE and I am not going to name the person or types of vessels. So while we share the water, please be very alert. When initiating any kind of move, always check to make sure there is ample amount of space to do so and will not put others in danger in case of a crash. Again be safe and have a good time. See you on the water.

Ben
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a good idea, but the fastest sailor doesn't ever need check, since no on can sail in his blind spot.
gnatslapper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of people who pinch on my "gype" side to avoid giving up 2 yds. of upwind. I guess the kites kind of have an excuse with their wires and all. It still bugs me.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnatslapper wrote:
I am not a fan of people who pinch on my "gype" side to avoid giving up 2 yds. of upwind. I guess the kites kind of have an excuse with their wires and all. It still bugs me.

Agree 100%. Part of windsurfing is allowing the upwind sailor the opportunity to actual have fun.. slash, and gybe . The annoying lawnmower who pinches right up into your grill is not cool.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, anyone who's dumb enough to sail downwind and up inside your wind shadow should be jibed upon, shouldn't they?
Don't think I've ever had someone sneak up on my on the downwind side and actually get past my wind shadow, and that includes ANYONE!
That's one downside of all this hoopla towards slower boards, smaller fins, and tiny spinny sails.
But it's really the fault of the dowwind guy, since he should know better, and you should sail faster.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I REALLY hate to bring this up, but the DOWNWIND guy has right of way. You hit him, he gets injured, he sues, you lose. It's that simple (if he lives). Besides is it really that hard to LOOK before YOU change course???

With places getting crowded the only way we get along is if we all look out for each other. Besides that downwind guy might be doing a tack, or some fancy freestyle move and NOT be turning downwind of you. So don't expect the expected.
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point is that with the Quads they can fall off wind and go up wind lower and higher than regular boards.

I had a guy basically pinch up into my down wind rear blind spot and I did not know he was there. I fell off to ride a building swell and he decided to to pinch up and jump the same swell. I did not even see him till really late and we came close to colliding. Of course, he considered the near miss totally my fault since he was down wind.
Point is that you do have to think of a slash as the same as a gybe and look behind you before powering into it.
Very Happy
jse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Wow, I REALLY hate to bring this up, but the DOWNWIND guy has right of way. You hit him, he gets injured, he sues, you lose. It's that simple (if he lives). Besides is it really that hard to LOOK before YOU change course???

With places getting crowded the only way we get along is if we all look out for each other. Besides that downwind guy might be doing a tack, or some fancy freestyle move and NOT be turning downwind of you. So don't expect the expected.

Technically that's only if he has the overlap. But I don't think that really matters, since this isn't racing. You need to clear yourself before any move.

Steve
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quote the Lawyer speak terms, but as a auto operator, you are responsible to avoid a collision, even if the other party is wrong in creating the event.

While I agree having rules to follow is the correct approach, they only work so far as all parties who adhere to them.

The looking out for one another is pretty damn good advise !!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do shortboard sailing, and as such, JIBE, not tack.
Why would anyone sneak up on someone from downwind? And sail there too? Just looking for an accident, since you KNOW it's the blind spot of the upwind ahead sailor.
In this case, BOTH guys are EQUALLY at fault. The upwind guy, for failing to clear his jibe path. The downwind guy, for being so unawares that he's sailing into someone's sight shadow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: