myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Law in NC Bans Latest Predictions of Sea Level Rise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FunHog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: This just in... Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19187115
paulf.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha(the expression, not the band). 6am explains it JE. wondered how you got out at corp. in lifeguarded season. probably back to work by the time they showed up.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe is a retired oil company executive, devoted to finding one of the diminishing number of well paid consultants who will, in return for oil company funds, pick nits in the overwhelming science that shows warming. Krug assumes a level of governmental non-interference in the market. In fact, those well enough off to be able to purchase a house in a hazardous zone--whether on a beach subject to wave damage, sea level rise, or liquifaction, or in a fire-prone area--enjoy a host of government subsidies.
The government pays far more for roads and fire service than they get from local property taxes; the disaster relief system administered by FEMA pays out 3 times what it gets from flood in insurance rates, and worst comes to worst, any un-reimbursed losses are fully deductible in your taxes, and can be carried over for a number of years.

Now we got those laws through a representative system, and there are those in the environmental community that seek the end to subsidy of bad decisions--as well as the many billions in subsidy to carbon producers. Maybe there should be changes, maybe not--but don't pretend that there is a libertarian system in place where the brave Ayn Randian individual goes his own way and pays his own bills. It doesn't exist today, and is almost certainly not going to happen.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac

I agree with your comment:

Quote:
Now we got those laws through a representative system, and there are those in the environmental community that seek the end to subsidy of bad decisions--as well as the many billions in subsidy to carbon producers. Maybe there should be changes, maybe not--but don't pretend that there is a libertarian system in place where the brave Ayn Randian individual goes his own way and pays his own bills. It doesn't exist today, and is almost certainly not going to happen.

As an engineering consultant, I have designed structures in avalanche zones to withstand potential wind blasts. However, a neighboring jurisdication may allow traditional construction in the same geohazard zone if the owners sign a waiver. We all know that if an avalanche buries that house, emergency services, at great cost and personal risk, will be provided. The waivers also may get "lost" and future owners assume that protections have been provided by the code review process. Utlimately, the entire community will share in the risk, regardless of the intentions of the original libertarain developer.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you find it interesting that Gybe is obsessed by tne pipeline but actually knows nothing about it?
I even pasted the factcheck comments and he went straight back to promoting his fairy tale. I apologize Gybe I remarked that you were fooling us but you arent are you?
You really dont know anything about Keystone and have a psych block to any real facts.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that sun the sun found it's way over the yardarm a little earlier than usual today in Belize.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an oil company executive!! Wow!! Who knew!! Perhaps someone could put me in touch with them, because they sure as shootin' aren't sending me any pension checks!! Oh but wait. Perhaps I have to disclose ten years of my tax returns to prove that I wasn't. That's the way it works now isn't it?
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I have misunderstood your claims to have forgotten more about the oil business than I will ever know, your inner knowledge of the players, yada yada yada. Perhaps you are only an apologist and haven't even been paid as a consultant or lobbyist. It must certainly be my fault for misunderstanding your clear messages.

One thing is certain--you are not now, and have never been, a climate scientist.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb--there are indeed arguments that can be made for leaving folks alone on their land--as long as the impacts remain on their land. But the same right wingers who surface that argument, are first to cry (and politically effective) for governmental relief if something goes wrong. Consistency is not part of the lexicon.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobras/Isobars repeats the hoary denier hoax that temperatures have not risen in the past decade. The increase over the past 80 years is about 1.5 degrees, and because daily climate is highly chaotic and affected by short term phenomenon, those increases are irregular. If temperature had gone up, on average, it would have been about 0.1 degrees or less--too small to detect from the error band.

I have kept quiet about this years record heat and drought, because they could be either signs of chaos or climate change. But if you put that into the data set, you get a spike in average temperature increase over the last decade.

As my father used to say, liars know how to use statistics. Only because Mike Fick was foolish enough to repeat his ignorant claim about no warming do I raise the issue of the heat in Oklahoma. Who knows, some fundamentalist sects may think that they have offended god? That certainly may be the truth in Wisconsin's drought falling so soon on the heals of failing to recall Walker. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: