myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Law in NC Bans Latest Predictions of Sea Level Rise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when hwy12 gets washed out again, who should pay to rebuild it?

or, just dont?

mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some context is needed here. Many residents of the OBX feel, with some considerable justification, that they are under a perpetual assault by the environmental lobby. Huge swaths of beach have been closed to all but birds. This has a direct impact on the local economy and the ability of locals and visitors to enjoy the seashore for recreation. With that as a backdrop, and given the record of inaccuracy and exaggeration which has repeatedly come from prominent figures within the global warming community, it is not unreasonable for those in government to require more certainty in the arena of sea level rises before hitting the economy yet again.
jkrug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
so when hwy12 gets washed out again, who should pay to rebuild it?

well, i'm obviously not a fan of govt doing much of anything besides internal and external defenses of the people. in a perfect world, the private sector should take care of such things, just like it did at the dawn of this country. (and the private sector always did it better, btw...e.g., James Hill took no govt assistance and built the best railroads in the 1800s). btw, that's a very funny avatar, and that's praise from a neanderthal kiter.

and mrgybe, i agree with you 100%.
FunHog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkrug wrote:
no, they respect climate science, they just don't respect climate hoaxes.

Climate hoax? I take from this you are in climate change/global warming denial.

A simpe test for you: Drive to Vermont, or Boston , Quebec, (its beautiful in September), fly to Paris ... call me when you find the glacier ( psssst.... it melted! )

motogon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:
Any of you guys ever wonder about the septic systems in Hatteras? Where does all that Sh!t go?

There is no septic system on OBX. Every house has own holding tank.

mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FunHog wrote:
Climate hoax? I take from this you are in climate change/global warming denial.

Would you be prepared to give up your job based upon speculative computer models, developed by people who have been repeatedly wrong, that indicate increases in sea levels over the next century? If so, perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining to several craftsmen who are windsurfing friends of mine here on the OBX, and who have been out of work for nearly three years, that their prospects for future employment have dimmed further due to environmental concerns, but they should feel proud that they may be serving humanity (if the models are correct). Climate science is by no means settled, and I believe it is prudent for the NC legislature to proceed with caution before endangering livelihoods.

BTW, most houses do indeed have septic tanks, but they can, and do leak if damaged or improperly maintained. It's a legitimate concern, one of many which comprise a complex issue that will not respond well to knee jerk reactions.
FunHog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Climate science is by no means settled,

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=00100020OOV2

Modern humans are a direct respose to changes in Earth climates through adaptation....the Earth is warming as it has done before, we are contributing. Those that adapt will survive, those that don't will vanish. Get over it, adapt.

mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Muller's web site. His great concern about the impact of carbon on the future of humanity does not extend to his consulting business which routinely services, the oil and gas and coal industries. http://mullerandassociates.com/projects/

I've given you the perspective of many on the OBX. Sneering responses will not provide solutions. I suggest you take your views to the politics section.
jkrug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both sides of the fence seem to be able to 'produce' data that supports their beliefs. given that, only a fool would not be skeptical...of both sides!
but when something cannot be proven, doesn't it make sense to tread lightly and not put all your eggs in one basket? NC seems to think so, and I'd agree with them.

it seems only the fanatics want to rush in blindly, and call the rest of us 'deniers'...kind of like 'heathens' in a religious context.
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evans wrote:
Any of you guys ever wonder about the septic systems in Hatteras? Where does all that Sh!t go?

Apparently directly to the west coast, most notably Berkeley.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: