myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatch rescue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read what Iso writes, not how he writes it.
An experienced expert sailor is always good to have in any kind of forum, regardless of his writing ability, style, or background.
Always good to read his posts, even if you don't agree with him all the time.
I also have many detractors, which is just fine, since they have a right to their opinions.
If we all agreed on everything, there would be no use to have forums, would there?
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all agreed on everything, there'd be no need for more than one person, period, let alone a forum or an internet.

As TR host Neil Boortz puts it, "If we always agreed, one of us would be redundant."

Of course, when he's in one of those moods, that's ... "You'd be redundant."
jota

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an example of why posters get irritated at isobars:

"IMO, your Googling right or left wing websites for an hour or two doesn't quite trump my several years @ 10 hours most calm or winter days rotating among half a dozen news and business and political analysis channels and sources in one ear and/or -- often both -- several newspapers and business magazines and an internet full of government and neutral media and factcheck sites in my face. My smart wife does the same, and we discuss it often."

You can cut and paste this into any discussion - and automatically "win." You don't even need to respond to the issue at hand, just as you didn't then when you were caught short on the facts - just state that you know everything because you and your smart wife spend all your time on the internets. Nobody else is entitled to disagree.
daviddk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, giving your opinion or experience on a subject is a welcome healthy way to have a discussion. Having a craving need to convince others of your greatness by constantly spraying superlatives about yourself and your exploits in your posts is called narcissism. Maybe you don`t realize you come off this way so in an effort to help improve your mental well being I am letting you know. Think of me as your own personal Dr Phil giving you some tough love Smile
ramps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us could benefit by studying Iso's careful use of the English language. I may be a little anal, but I get tired of reading "planning" when the poster means "planing" etc. etc.
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daviddk wrote:
1. Having a craving need to convince others of your greatness by constantly spraying superlatives about yourself and your exploits in your posts is called narcissism.

Maybe you don`t realize you come off this way so in an effort to help improve your mental well being I am letting you know. Think of me as your own personal Dr Phil giving you some tough love Smile

No, it's called providing support for one's position, not narcissism. How else would we know to listen to real experts like Lee/Zirtaeb, Coachg, Jingerbritsen, and their small group of true peers if they didn't tell us directly about their qualifications? Big names like Peterson, Poor, Pritchard, Ezzy, etc. need no introduction, but the second tier above, let alone ordinary crank-turners like myself, must toot some horns if our opinions are to mean anything at all. Here, in our careers, and in many aspects of the real world, no one is in a better position than we, ourselves, to do that.

Career tip #1: write your own performance evaluations for your boss. It will save her much time and will point out accomplishments and abilities she was not aware of. You must, of course, be able to back up your claims with facts ... just like here.

#2: Write your resumes as though your career depended on it, because it does. There, one doesn't toot their own horn; he either play the 1812 Overture at full volume or loses the job to the guy who did ... as long as he provides support for his claims.

That's not narcissism; it's part of Life 101. People who don't understand that haven't read that chapter yet, and it impacts their credibility in every aspect of life.

I gotta ask, Dr. Phil:
How old are you?
How many job performance evaluations have you written on yourself and others?
How many resumes have you written?
How successful were they?

I'm not here to "come across" in any certain way. I'm about substance and pragmatism; I can't control others' emotions nor can I make everyone happy. Some complain that I write too long, others request or demand that I explain or justify or prove things in greater depth. I offer advice -- solicited, ~98% of the time -- plus support for it (often based on my background), and people can take or leave it; I can't, nor should I, control that.

How does denigrating someone, especially without support, improve their mental well-being?

Vastly more important, to me and to the credibility of this forum, is the endless lying, baseless, personal attacks and toleration thereof. Only when people here start treating its propagators like the dregs they are, to either drive them away or elevate their behavior, will I give a damn what this group thinks of me. Being perceived as arrogant by some people is in a vastly different world from deliberately behaving like animals.
ramps

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and not an apostrophe out of place!
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramps wrote:
Most of us could benefit by studying Iso's careful use of the English language. I may be a little anal, but I get tired of reading "planning" when the poster means "planing" etc. etc.

Not to mention its/it's, then/than, him and I (the only TV series I've ever seen get their pronouns consistently correct was Rosanne Barr's sitcom), and other basic stuff. But what's infinitely worse than sloppy grammar is people who attack others' grammar (or person) because the former is losing the argument. As Zirtaeb said, it's the substance, not the wrapper, that matters. I may roll my eyes at his ego, but, like Mohamed Ali, he (I presume) can back up his statements, so I listen. After all, I just want his information; I'm not marrying the guy.
Bond1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention should of/should have, suppose/supposed.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
ramps wrote:

Not to mention its/it's, then/than, him and I (the only TV series I've ever seen get their pronouns consistently correct was Rosanne Barr's sitcom), and other basic stuff. But what's infinitely worse than sloppy grammar is people who attack others' grammar (or person) because the former is losing the argument. As Zirtaeb said, it's the substance, not the wrapper, that matters. I may roll my eyes at his ego, but, like Mohamed Ali, he (I presume) can back up his statements, so I listen. After all, I just want his information; I'm not marrying the guy.

Iso,
The ironic thing about your statement is that if you take both of your usernames away from your posts is that a lot of us couldn’t tell who is who. I’m not knocking either one of you. Just noting the similarities in your posts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: