myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does no wind = a bad swap meet?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhorton1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Does no wind = a bad swap meet? Reply with quote

I was hoping some insight could be provided on the probable turnout to the CGWA swap meet this weekend. Any ideas of how the hot weather doldrums will impact attendance? I just moved to Portland and need to get some cheap(ish) gear for the Gorge... and don't want to wait until the next swap. That would be 4 weekends of potential lost sailing time - Unacceptable!!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap meets.
I've been looking at swap meets since the early 90's, usually about 4 a year.
Weather...good weather, sunny and calm, warm, brings out more people, but also more people NOT inclined to spend any real money. A social scene as much as buy and sell, warm weather can bring tons of people, lookyloos, and CAN sell some stuff, but more people than sales.
Cold weather brings out the hard core buyers and sellers. Less strolling and talking, more serious buying and shopping.
You only want what YOU need. If you don't go, you won't get a reward.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be arriving to an empty parking lot Smile
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Does no wind = a bad swap meet? Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
I was hoping some insight could be provided on the probable turnout to the CGWA swap meet this weekend. Any ideas of how the hot weather doldrums will impact attendance? I just moved to Portland and need to get some cheap(ish) gear for the Gorge... and don't want to wait until the next swap. That would be 4 weekends of potential lost sailing time - Unacceptable!!

no worries there, just head to the CGWA big white trailer and youll get all the stuff you need at prices that will make you wonder why you waited so long to move Very Happy
isobras

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad? No ... just historically smaller then average. There are tons of sailors in town, and they aren't likely to be sailing Sunday. The Memorial Day and Labor Day meets are much larger, but by most communities' standards this one is still a pretty healthy meet. If my shopping list or For Sale pile is small, I will skip the one in April and may skip the one in August, but it sounds like your shopping list warrants the hour's drive. If this is your first Gorge swap meet, you will be astounded by the Gorge gear tree. If your wish list is flexible, you WILL find some good to great deals, saving much more than your gasoline expense. Back when I had a long, carefully researched list of premiere Gorge boards, I went to a midsummer meet to sell a couple of boards and maybe find one or two to buy. Not only did I sell the two ... for a profit ... but I bought five ... for under a grand ... combined. One of them earned its cost hands down under a 4.2 from 1 to 9 PM that very afternoon.

Don't take Fido; the temperature at his altitude on the asphalt will probably exceed 120 degrees.

Mike \OO/
joew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sunday 8/5 swap meet was the smallest I have ever attended, there were only about 20 people selling gear, but the CGWA trailer and surrounds were chock full of vintage and classic steals and deals, bags bases, booms, boards and assorted kit including some traveling pro's collection of vintage race lycra tops from the 80's all at beyond ridiculously low prices. some guy, a seriously overweight kitesurfer who was grazing in the free gear pile told me "all this stuff is here because no one windsurfs anymore" bite tongue, engage profanity filter, and diplomatically ask, you ever look west from the bridge on a 4.2 day? It is true that unfortunately we are an aging tribe,no less fit or enthusiastic but aging, grab me another can of (chilled) Ensure.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the best of the year so far for poor windsurfers Laughing CGWA had lots of good stuff. I picked up a custom Open ocean along with a nice Bic Tempo(tried it that day, super fast) and an 8.1m rig (which I also got to use that day,awesome to be able to get out and plane on flat water ) Very Happy

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might, that meet was pretty small, but it also signaled some really
really cheap boards, some of which were pretty nice. If I didn't already
have 5 boards between 70 and 85 ltrs, I'd have bought some more.
Maybe I should start selling.

-Craig
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I think it was the best of the year so far for poor windsurfers Laughing CGWA had lots of good stuff.

CGWA had some great deals! I'm obsessed with the idea of a quiver of sails (same make / model) and was able to pick up a couple of Sailworks Revolutions for CHEAP. I had to dig through their pile a bit, but that was half the fun. Joining the CGWA cost me nearly as much as one sail Smile. Haven't had the chance to try the sails yet, but I'll get them wet soon. Looking forward to the next swap over Labor Day!
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen whole quivers of great Gorge and coast sails in great condition for under $300, and they went unsold ... dammit. I just had one of them built for me last month because I wasn't smart enough to buy the whole quiver then to get the size I wanted.

Just weeks ago I saw a pristine sail coveted by a guy who demands only that exact brand, model, color, loft, and year, but he missed out by being elsewhere. Ya just never know what's going to show up, but ... MAN does getting up in the middle of the night to make the drive get old. But when that snags you a handful of rock-solid NoLimitz Skinnys for $35 apiece and a spanking new current-year Evo XTV for $400, it's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: