myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping in the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Didn't Chaco's most expensive board cost him about $30?

My Quatro was $150 Laughing But most are in the $30 range, and I can always repair/swap meet. I get almost all wave gear so I havent broken much. I could probably replace all of my stuff for less than non-gorge people spend on a sail, so I might as well risk it all while im here to get better Very Happy
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely ... and if ya like, you get to practice repair techniques at no risk. I've bought coveted boards to try out for $10-$50 (FAR cheaper and simpler than demoing stuff from two hours away) because of damage, patched 'em up as practice, sailed and evaluated them, sold them at a profit or kept them, and in some cases bought pristine clones for a whopping $50-$200 because I liked them so much. (I've batted better than 0.900 on getting great-sailing used boards, compared to well under 0.200 in the new boards I've demoed. I guess I'm too picky to accept boards that won't do what I want how I want to do it, no matter their hype.)
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dare I say it?
I'll qualify it since lots of my friends include the big speed trials of old guys, the 225 and up crowd.
Elephants weren't meant to fly.
There, I said it.
It's not the flying they weren't meant for, they can indeed fly, but for every flight, there HAS to be a landing, and that part can injure knees, ankles, backs, and shoulders.
Just a headsup.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Dare I say it?
I'll qualify it since lots of my friends include the big speed trials of old guys, the 225 and up crowd.
Elephants weren't meant to fly.
There, I said it.
It's not the flying they weren't meant for, they can indeed fly, but for every flight, there HAS to be a landing, and that part can injure knees, ankles, backs, and shoulders.
Just a headsup.

Im around 190 now, not small, but probably no more danger to myself than most
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excluding young professional windsurfers, 190 seems to be the upper limit for high jumps, long jumps, or anything eye opening. Lots of non pros weighing upwards of 275 have been seen jumping, but that's more hit and miss than anything consistent. I've seen my housemate FatDAveGould, at 275lbs., get his fin well over 8' at Hatch on a for me 3.7 day. But that day, the Kitts and Peterson show was going well over 18' high on their better jumps. I think Bruce was weighing in right at 187 those days. They jump less high nowadaze.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop hops, Lee ... chop hops. 18 inches.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still young, Im hoping to be flying through the air like superman by the time im 30 Laughing
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how old they were when they were the Hypertech team show.
For me, 18" chop hops are much more dangerous than 10' sky shots. When you jump high, you slow down in the air, land going almost straight down, tail first, butt next if it's high for your skills.
When you jump 18", you're going pretty much full speed for the direction you're headed, and anything not aligned will be QUICKLY and forcefully aligned, whether you're ready for it or not. That means more force on ankles and knees, hips and lower backs.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to pic up a nice Bic Tempo for $10 (I just wanted the nice straps but they made me take the whole thing) . I only brought big gear for after the swap meet, but the wind mysteriously showed up in Mosier so I tried out the Tempo with the 6.8 since it was handy. That thing is fast... the slalom speed did help jumping for sure Laughing It was hard not to hop over the chop and I had a couple good flying jumps (still cant land them though)
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Cook is still more like 2 bills, so I'm thinking really high jumps
are probably possible for heavier guys. ;*)

-Craig

zirtaeb wrote:
Excluding young professional windsurfers, 190 seems to be the upper limit for high jumps, long jumps, or anything eye opening. Lots of non pros weighing upwards of 275 have been seen jumping, but that's more hit and miss than anything consistent. I've seen my housemate FatDAveGould, at 275lbs., get his fin well over 8' at Hatch on a for me 3.7 day. But that day, the Kitts and Peterson show was going well over 18' high on their better jumps. I think Bruce was weighing in right at 187 those days. They jump less high nowadaze.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: