myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jumping in the Gorge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bond1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all kinds of suggestions that can be made about differing techniques and nuances that help to get you into the air and give you control while there and when landing. Some bits may resonate, some may not. Some details may make more sense once you get yourself into the air more consistently. If I were to give one bit of advice, in addition to going fast, as others have suggested, I'd say if you're looking for big air, don't sail along trying to jump every little bump. Sail at speed, looking way ahead. Look all the way across the river. Look behind you. Look for white water. Look for peaking waves. Even if it's on the other side of the river. When you see a set that looks like it has potential, do everything you can to get there as quickly as possible, with as much speed as possible. Bear off. Head up. Set yourself up well in advance so that when you get to that set you're fully powered with a ton of speed. You won't always get the wave or set you're aiming for, but if you practice this you'll get better at it.

And like I said above, look behind you. Sometimes you may pass through a developing set, and if you look back you may see it continuing to develop. If you turn too soon you might not have speed when you get back to it. Learn to sail away from a set just far enough so that when you turn around you can get yourself back up to speed by the time you get there, but not so far that you lose track of the set.

Learning to find the right waves to jump, and getting yourself to that wave with speed, is a big first step in the pursuit of big air.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve wrote:
I know this doesn't respond to the jumping question, but your first water start after you fell in the water you had both feet basically in the foot straps. Applying so much pressure to one side of the board makes it very hard to get the board back on a plane. This is even more true in the light wind area you fell and even more true with that heavy glass board you are sailing which doesn't seem to have much volume. If the conditions are over 30mph and you can barely get on the board before it rockets away, by all means cheat with one foot close to a strap. Otherwise, your bodyweight needs to be much more over the center of the board to prevent a lot of falling back in the water which is tiring and gets you cold much more quickly.

It was super gusty/holey that day, for most of the day I was nailing them everytime, of course once the camera comes on....I was super overpowered on the way in so it was much easier to just start in the straps and rocket away Laughing
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfordo wrote:
If you want to focus on technique, here is something to get started.
http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique/jem-hall-chop-hop-095.html
There are good videos out there that are much more thorough. "Winner to Wavesailor" is good. It covers jumping technique and has great footage of moves you can dream about doing in the future. It will help you with your technique and rigging to sail faster too.

Ive read that a few times and was going over it again this morning before heading out Very Happy We have the "winner to wavesailor" but its MIA at the moment..I re-read Guy Cribbs harness line article too and I think Ive got my harness lines in a much better place (about 4 inches back from where they were)

I tried my lightweight quatro today, its definitely more air inclined...but the wind was aweful once I got out there and I didnt have much planing time to try things out
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcfordo wrote:
Mchaco I have to laugh at all of the good feed back you are getting by posting a video of yourself sailing. I haven't seen anyone do that before.

It is brilliant.

You should have someone else film you so we can get a better look at your stance and technique.

Seriously, I bet it would help.

Laughing I suppose I could do the boom cam, though im not a big fan of that angle.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's possible to get big airs on a slow heavy board, you'd need to be well overpowered at the jumping area.
Easier to ride a FAST light board. Those old Hypertechs were around 12lbs, full slalom rocker.
Notice also that Dale rides a small slalom board, slalom rocker and very light in weight.
If you want to jump high even just powered, you need light and fast boards. Narrow for landings and control, but fast full slalom rockers.
Problem becomes boards like that usually have reliability problems. I suggest a custom slalom board or one of the narrow Supercross style boards from the mid 2000's.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Chaco up to a potato chip? I sure as heck wasn't just weeks after finding the straps. I began to appreciate them only after 15 years of aggressive pursuit of high winds.

Besides, his immediate, stated objective is a chop hop that gets his fin out of the water, not nosebleed or altitude sickness.

Mike \OO/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadnt considered using a slalom board in jumping conditions... My quatro FSW seems to be known for being a good air board, so that should be good for now once I get used to the corkiness. Im mainly looking for small jumps and if I could do some layback flying jumps in the 6-10ft range id be thrilled Very Happy Even BAF is new so thats still fun, im still trying do figure out exactly what to do with all those waves and swells out there...
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out there as we know you will, push yourself and your gear hard, jump some, slash some, blast over some, and it will come. Maybe you'll learn more quickly by focusing on one of the above for a session or a day, then another on the next session or day, etc.; mixing them up might be less instructive at this stage. Experiment.

Mike \OO/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that big guys tend to break more gear than little guys. Breaking gear costs money.
isobras

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Chaco's most expensive board cost him about $30? The gear forest here is so chockfulla good stuff that breakage needn't even enter our minds. He and I can often buy boards better than we are for the price of a custom cup of coffee ... seriously ... and can always buy boards better than we are for the price of a good used race fin most other places.

And ... I doubt a slalom board will help Chaco jump at this stage. He needs control, skill, and confidence more than he needs top speed capability and sharper release. He can buy the confidence (armor), develop the skill with his aggressive approach, and choose the control by focusing on user-friendly boards. He's gonna be gettin' some chop hops as soon as he figures out how to keep the hammer down, and a friendly ride is a BIG step in that direction.

Mike \OO/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: