myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Fin Comany
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the problem. We all know what kind of feeling and performance we want and fit fins accordingly, so why the song and dance?

Given that any single board can benefit from different sizes and/or types of fin with different sails, and at different ends of its performance window (not to mention different weights of rider) how the blue blazes can any manufacturer fit a single do it all sized fin? They know, and we know that they can't.

Whether they err on the larger size for earlier planing at the lower end, or the smaller size for more radical slashing and sliding at the higfher end is no big deal. They know that any dedicated windsurfer will immediately (after an initial try out) dive into his stash of favourite fins to find that magic matching pair for each end of the boards range, that they, and only they alone, can really appreciate. Razz

Rules are for fools. Suck it and see say I!!
isobras

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Sliding, I believe sits closer to "crabbing" than it does "spinning out". In the sense that a screw spins (don't forget the zen koan >>why does a mouse when it spins<<), your board will spin out of the water. Now this isn't a 360 for sure, but it is a spin. Glassy waves remains a literary symbolist's term and possibly an oxymoron.

Boards crab (non-zero AOA) every moment they're not running dead downwind.

Hydrodynamic stall ... sliding sideways ... is called spinout if accidental, a trick if done intentionally. A broader, more generic, term for it is slipping.

Glassy waves -- tilted or even curling smooth water -- are all we see in magazine photos. No oxymoron there.

Your attempts to be difficult are probably confusing the issue for the three readers who don't get it.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISOBRAS: Thanks for you very succinct definitions, nicely done, and I agree that sailingjoe is just confusing things. I would like to point out that your "AOA" refers to Angle Of Attack, and refers to the angle that your fin crabs through the water.

GURGLETROUSERS, not everyone has the knowledge and experience to re-fin their boards to their liking, that's why we have these forums, to share our knowledge with the less-experienced sailors who ask.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Spennie. Of course you are right. (It was just a hastily fired response to an irritant!)
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make amends for being rude; a recently bought Bic Techno 133 (I have a soft spot for Bics) came with an excellent Pre-preg Select Ride 43 fin. It matches the boards intended use just fine.

To extend the boards range into windier 6.0 and more bouncy conditions a 38 fin was needed. Unfortunately, Select fins are now only available (over here) as original equipment on new Bic boards. With the dealers help (a friend) we matched up an M.F.C. 38 Freeride fin as identical to that size Select Ride fin. (It even came with pretty graphics, though I prefer the classy understated Select colours.)

Should anybody with a Bic 133 wonder, the M.F.C. freeride 38 fin works just fine with a 6.0 sail, in fresher conditions. It was a good buy.

P.S. Forgot to add. Bic boxes are deeper so the M.F.C. fin will need a longer bolt. Works fine though, so no problem.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
To make amends for being rude; a recently bought Bic Techno 133 (I have a soft spot for Bics) came with an excellent Pre-preg Select Ride 43 fin. It matches the boards intended use just fine.

To extend the boards range into windier 6.0 and more bouncy conditions a 38 fin was needed. Unfortunately, Select fins are now only available (over here) as original equipment on new Bic boards. With the dealers help (a friend) we matched up an M.F.C. 38 Freeride fin as identical to that size Select Ride fin. (It even came with pretty graphics, though I prefer the classy understated Select colours.)

Should anybody with a Bic 133 wonder, the M.F.C. freeride 38 fin works just fine with a 6.0 sail, in fresher conditions. It was a good buy.

P.S. Forgot to add. Bic boxes are deeper so the M.F.C. fin will need a longer bolt. Works fine though, so no problem.

Good to know. I like bic too Very Happy Still use my T293 once in awhile Very Happy
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:
Sliding, I believe sits closer to "crabbing" than it does "spinning out". In the sense that a screw spins (don't forget the zen koan >>why does a mouse when it spins<<), your board will spin out of the water. Now this isn't a 360 for sure, but it is a spin. Glassy waves remains a literary symbolist's term and possibly an oxymoron.

Boards crab (non-zero AOA) every moment they're not running dead downwind.

Hydrodynamic stall ... sliding sideways ... is called spinout if accidental, a trick if done intentionally. A broader, more generic, term for it is slipping.

Glassy waves -- tilted or even curling smooth water -- are all we see in magazine photos. No oxymoron there.

Your attempts to be difficult are probably confusing the issue for the three readers who don't get it.
I get a kick out of people who think that what they see in magazine pictures seriously duplicate reality. Then again, most people don't have my kind of art education. The idea that playboy models and movie stars don't have pimples, scars, moles or other blemishes (not to mention tats) remains laughable. The airbrush can take every little ripple out of water and make it look glassy in a photo, my oxymoron of a friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: