myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waterproof Cell Phone Case
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KBack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Waterproof Cell Phone Case Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a waterproof cell phone case/bag?

Thanks

KB
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good waterproof case for Iphones called Lifeproof!
damel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lifeproof.com/ is good but the latch sometimes pops off.
http://www.h2oaudio.com/ is another good option.

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever case you decide upon, I'd suggest that you double-bag your phone using a clear snack bag. I have used bags from a couple of different manufacturers, and they all got water inside after a few runs. If you look at reviews of various bags, you'll see that others have experienced the same problems. Double-bagging may just save your phone. The touch screen on my Android phone still works.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two different sizes of Aquapack, using the smaller one for 3 summers now, and it's still perfectly dry. I never wear it by itself, it is usually tucked in my PFD pocket. The Blackberry worked fine through the bag, so you can actually talk on the water if you want. I have yet to try my iPhone that way.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/BagsPacksCases/CameraElectronicCases/PRD~5025-318/aquapac-mini-electronics-case-108.jsp
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the recommendation for double bagging. I like my Aquapac VHF bag, but water does seem to get in by some mysterious path. Fortunately, the radio is waterproof, but a phone definitely would not be.
B737

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for the aquapac... its simple and it works...

I sailed for 5 years while "on call" for work. I had to report to work within 2 hours of them calling me. Sailing with the phone allowed me to get out on the water countless times. (im no longer on call, and sail without a phone and love it!)

i use AT&T so it had some advantages... if your just looking for cell service on the water and no high tech stuff... this is the "least risk" situation that i did...

bought an AT&T "go" phone at local retail store for $30.
insert your iPhone or smart phone's sim card into the Go phone, (might need a small adapter for the tray), put Go phone in your AquaPac, and sail. your smart phone stays safe, yet all calls, txt's, and voicemails will go to your normal number on your Go phone thats being carried on you.

if you use verizon, you can get a backup VZW phone as well, and there is a number * code you can dial into the phone to transfer the device as your primary device on the VZW network. when you come back in you dial the number on your primary phone and it swaps it back.

Fanatic Freewave 95l 240cm
grayson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2nd the GoPhone (or other cheap "throw-away" phone) option. I put mine in an AlokSak and keep it in a pocket. It's with me just about every time I go out. I generally sail far from shore in deep water, often alone, and never know when I might need it to save my own ass (or somebody else's) from a gear failure or whatever. A few things I particularly like about the "disposable" phone approach:

1. If the waterproof bag ever fails, I'm only out $30 or so to replace the phone. Though so far, after maybe 4 years of following this routine, the AlokSak hasn't failed me yet; I just replace it with a new one once a season or so when it starts looking worn.

2. I can leave it in my PFD pocket and forget about it. Mine holds a charge really well and I rarely turn it on, other than to check the charge every couple weeks, and maybe charge it once every couple months or so.

3. Different phone number, so nobody bothers me when I'm sailing! Smile Only my wife and my closest sailing buds have my "waterphone" number, so I can turn it on to be reachable by them but nobody else.

But most of all, my primary phone: is much more expensive, is harder to replace, has data on it that I'd prefer not to lose, would be more time-consuming to reconfigure a replacement, etc. I'd just have a really hard time trusting it to most any waterproof case that I can still use it through on the water. YMMV.

BTW, for anyone who wants a phone only for emergency use (i.e. outgoing 911 calls) then *ANY* functional cellphone will work; it doesn't have to be on an active plan of any sort. But I still keep mine stocked with a minimal number of minutes just because I also like to be able to call my friends or my wife when I've been gone for hours and hours, and let em know they don't need to worry. Cool
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the throw-away phone approach very much. Thanks for sharing on the forum, I will implement that, one way or the other. I often sail alone too and the phone is a safety device for me.

-It will allow me to get on the water faster, since it will stay put in the bag and in the PFD. I often dress for water at home, and I end up going back in the house to pick up the cell I left on the dresser or elsewhere.

-It is less risky too, as there is nothing at stake. Also, my biggest concern was that I might one day improperly close the bag. This is less likely now.
KBack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for the great reivews... I like the double bag idea and the throw away phone.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: