myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
On-the-fly Adjustable Mast Tracks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Energy is a big board for sailors weighing 150 in winds around 20+.
For bigger sailors, or lighter winds, it can easily be too small.
Moving the track forwards does help improve upwind, but you'd need to raise the boom also, and clear the clew from the water. It would also increase drag downwind.
Best to move track, boomheight, and footstrap positioning, + fin placement, for best results.
There used to be an Energy class racing, the boards stamped TUDOR on them, most around 15lbs even. Lots of these boards probably still exist in someone's garage. Great board for 15-24mph sailing....go fast ,not goof around.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding German markings. I just placed my Lessecher 36 on top of my Orca Orca 40, and yes they are a match with the same span. Fin measurement seems a lot like ski measurement. With skis you have running and cord length, put a string from tip to tail, that is cord. Running is the ski flattened out. Now, some peeps measure fins from the bottom of the base, some from the top. At 240 lbs, I didn't think the energy was too small for me, but since I sometimes sailed it in high winds with serious chop, the flat rocker was somewhat unforgiving. Still, for upwind help, I could see one using the on-the-fly advantage of the mast track. In an ideal world you can stop and trim your board in a race. I do hope to pass the board on to a smaller sailor some day. Thanks for the replies.
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
... I just think of the "resale" value of having a functional track. I did experiment with the Hi-Fly mast track on the fly, but it really was too difficult to be moving it a lot. So the Germans would emboss the board with a volume number and not actually measure it. That doesn't surprise me.

Why is that, oh wise one?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should take that remark, not SailingJoe...
Harold Iggy is the shaper for the early Mistral shortboards. Spent lots of hours sitting at 'Yards talking shaping and windsurfing, since I also shape surfboards, one of which was right there next to us.
He'd tell us Mistral would request 12 plugs for each target shape, all sent over at once. The Germans picked out the "best" for their specific purposes...ie in Mistral's early years, smooth riding, easy jibing, relatively fast, good handling was most important. They'd call back and ask Harold what the volume was for plug spec spec # whatever. Harold kept a log listing all the plugs sent over to Germany. Always an estimation, nobody in Oahu had water tanks or computers in the early '80-'90's.
And remember, a plug is just a polyurethane blank single glassed with some industrial heavy cloth, NOT the styrofoam/divinicell/airex finished product which is always more volume than the original plug. This is not rocket science, it's art form.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an exceptional amount of statistics printed on my Energy. 205lbs is the threshold for flotation. I've never seen that stat even cited regarding a board. Now, when it comes to fin sizing, I am going to start another thread. However, the Lessacher Duo Weed 36 has a span of 36 as measured from the top of the base. I own two Orca fins on the other hand which have the same span as the German fin. Nevertheless, I just can't figure out where the 40 comes from.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb...the Most Interesting Man in the World.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming an Energy is 100 liters, which it certainly CAN be, it'd float 220 lbs., or maybe 100 kilos? Most 200 lbs'ers say they can't quite uphaul an Energy. Sounds correct. Seems we need +15 or so kilos of float to successfully uphaul a sail out there in the water. While it's possible to uphaul +8, that's reserved for the young pro riders.
My old lard as. cannot uphaul 75 liters, even though I"m 68 kilos in weight. I can stand on a 75 liter board easy enough, but mysteriously, when I pull on the uphaul, the water likes to flow above my knees.
85 is more my liking, with 80 a probability, but nothing I can count on.
As for Windoggie, you know I worked at windsurf shops for over 25 years, raced motocross for 5, surfed for over 24, shot IPSC and Practical for a couple, drove a night taxi in SanFrancisco for 7 years, worked at a couple of snowboarding shops, tried waterski jumping for a season, strung tennis rackets for pros at the TransAmerica, managed to almost make it into a Squaw ski commercial in '76, and was racing 250 AFM production at 16 without parent's signature.... Very Happy Very Happy
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Energy I have carries a warning regarding it's "buoyancy" of 93 kg. and 205 lbs. With my 125 liter Sumo I will sink when weighing in at 240 lbs and float at 230 lbs. I guess that corresponds to what you have been saying. Unfortunately, we just don't have a lot of wind in the summer here on Cape Cod so that makes the sport of windsurfing somewhat esoteric. It will be hard for me to find someone who could actually use the Energy the way it was designed or intended. Short boards are extremely difficult to sell either new or used. If there was an Energy class sailing, it must have been in Northern California.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Energy has TudorWatch stamped on the deck, it was one of the over 200 made for the USA, for races in your area, Hatteras, Florida, S.Coast Texas, SoCal, NorCal, and HoodRiver. Mistral toted about 75 of them to each event, sold a bunch, and always had a west coast supply as well as an EastCoast supply warehouse. i think some were shipped to races in Aruba and possibly Caberete in the early '90's.
Offered as part of the deal was sails sizing from 74, 6.2, and one smaller, but since I didn't participate in those events, I don't know for sure. We at SausalitoSailboards recieved over 20 of them, to strap and distribute to local racers. I think they didn't offer any races that had less than an average of 16 mph wind at all the marks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: