myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Some Questions Regarding the Cabrillo Enduro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Some Questions Regarding the Cabrillo Enduro Reply with quote

For some reason the Cabrillo Enduro has a Masters Division (45 and over) as one of its 3 Classes. Isn't every windsurfer in SoCal over 45 or more likely over 50? Other than the occasional Euro new to LA, there hasn't be a newcomer to short board windsurfing since the advent of kiting. How about some realistic classes like and A-Fleet, B-Fleet etc that group people of like ability and equipment (windsurfing is a mix of athleticism (planing jibs) and equipment) into competitive groups a la sailboat racing, softball, basketball etc.

The Enduro has been going for a while and it can't be too hard to start grouping the sailors. The Class division seems like it was set up by someone in 1985 and not reconsidered since.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allen:

Actually, we consider it a lot, and have post-race discussions every year. I suggested making Masters over 55 for the very same reasons you cite, but our Race Director, Joe Roth, pointed out that then you'll have 54-year-olds racing against 25-year-olds, not good either.

The problem with having a lot of different classes is mostly time. Joe's trying to get as many heats in as possible, sometimes with a very short wind window (>15mph), so we try to keep it down to as few classes as possible. Last year we didn't even have enough wind time to run 2 heats per class.

Finally: It's just for fun! It's not a sanctioned event, so there's really no reason to get mental about it -- If you can jibe, come & race! If you're advanced, race Open class, with a regulation-style start. Bring your sailing kids, too; If we get more than 2 or 3 we'll run a Junior class. Have wifey try her hand at racing, we make it simple with a beach start & figure-eight course.

Watch this forum for an upcoming photo of the big pile of prizes I'm collecting to hand out! More prizes on the way, too!

P.S. E-mail me a detailed description of your suggestions via my website (below), we'll definitely consider any serious suggestions anyone has for next year.

joeroth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spennie you did a great job of explaining the rational behind the 45 yr old master class.
I would like to point out that there is a class for the folks who dont have the latest race gear and are just trying out racing for the first time. Its the Sport class. One year this class was won with wave gear.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOt every windsurfer is over 45....

Last edited by KevinDo on Wed May 15, 2013 9:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whose going down to cabrillo this saturday to check out the enduro??
dyno357

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just started windsurfing, and I'm 30. But I at least agree that the vast majority of sailors I see on the water are from the previous generation of windsurfing. For me, windsurfing was popular when I was a kid, and now that I'm finally old enough and have some time, I've been able to live out the childhood fantasy of racing along the water. Not related to the Enduro, I've been extremely appreciative of the older sailors out on the water who have been so welcoming to me as I've been learning.
noflyzoneallstar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to joke that when I started windsurfing in my early teens I was the youngest guy out there and now 30 years later I'm still the youngest guy out there.
But it's good to see at least a few younger people taking it up!
Hope you all get some wind for the Enduro...
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started windsurfing when I was 15. Didn't have the money back than so....patience paid off Very Happy I too also really appreciate the help all the folks at cabrillo have been giving me. If it wasn't for Lorenzo, I would've never got my harness line set up properly!
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the organizers could consider adding a SuperX class to the enduro!

superX.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.22 KB
 Viewed:  20596 Time(s)

superX.jpeg

cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not possible to loop in 12 knots of wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: