myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
International 18 Foot Skiff Regatta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: International 18 Foot Skiff Regatta Reply with quote

Since we are posting about the rather pathetic AC45 at Crissy, what about some much better racing that actually does not make such a fuss, does not ask the city millions of dollars in contributions and real estate to bring in a competition that saw at most a couple thousand spectators, and (least but not last Razz ) shares the beach with us?

Some really amazing action today with the first 18 Foot Skiff Regatta (www.18footer.org), must have been close to 20 boats and it was very much fun to be out with them. Very Happy Too bad they seem not to have a youtube of it yet.

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know it was going on.
Is that the Aussie18 class? 3 man crew and trapezes wider than the boats?
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Didn't know it was going on.
Is that the Aussie18 class? 3 man crew and trapezes wider than the boats?

Yes, it is Aussie18, it was really something to watch and it is racing all week.

DSC_6953.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  69 KB
 Viewed:  7636 Time(s)

DSC_6953.JPG

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aussies and/or 49ers usually have a regatta the week leading up to the Bridge to Bridge. This year it is the international Nespresso 18's, with SFBA Board member Pat Whitmarsh one of the skippers. http://www.stfyc.com/default.aspx?p=v35EvtView&type=0&ID=2770506

Check out the bridge to bridge on Friday, with 3 or 4 of the AC 45's, the French hydrofoil Hydroptère http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_w3k5PuJOA, plus the usual suspects on kiteboards and Formula kits.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, NASCAR in a box, that's Aussie18.
My first day at Crissy, Sept 1983, there was a National's going on for Aussie18. I was staying out of the way between shore and AnitaRock when the first 7 came thru inside the Rock. After dropping my sail and watching over 30 boats breeze past, I decided to try ( Laughing ) to follow them down to the SFYachtClub. The other half of the fleet seemed to pick outside the rock. Actually made if from Anita to the end of the rocks, beginning of StFrancisBeach before a huge launch. Decided maybe course racing wasn't for me. Didn't know windsurfers waterstarted, so uphauled my 6.1 on my Marker111, drifted/fell my way back upwind to the launch (ebb, strong).
A friend of mine, fellow surfer ColinGift, at 200 lbs., was using a 5.0.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: