myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
8.5m sail VS a 7.5 for earlie planing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've chased the wind threshold big time. Several years ago I bought a starboard free formula 198, a 500cm mast and a retro 10m. I worked hard to enjoy it. Bottom line it was all a huge wrestling match I din't need.

Sold it all on consignment in Hatteras 3yrs ago. Don't miss it at all.

For the past few weeks I've been enjoying a 7.5 infinity and a Equipe II.

I had an earlier Equipe In the 80's'

The winds have been in the 5-15knt range for the past 3wks or so.

I'm really stoked on Long Boarding again.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8.5, and it planed earlier than my former 7.5, by probably
1 or 2 MPH wind speed. I bought a 9.5 and that also planed earlier
than my 8.5, by about a mile per hour.

If you've got 11 MPH winds, and a wide board with a big skeg,
I recommend a bigger sail than 7.5.

-Craig

p.s it was good to meet you in person

U2U2U2 wrote:

The real question is will a 8.5 VS a 7.5 plane any sooner or longer ?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2, when you go 8.0 and over, the work associated with waterstarting and carrying everything to and from the beach is a chore, especially once the sail is wet. Instead of a larger sail, maybe the leverage point can be better achieved with a bigger fin. Certainly a lot cheaper overall, so I'd rather go that way myself. A bigger sail would likely require a bigger fin anyway, so that route may be the best choice on your path to an improved outcome.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points, the 7.5 is not a pleasure to waterstart, carry its fine.

A larger fin than what I have been using may improve , I have larger ones,
so no lack in that department.

will try out prior to a purchase .

I do think a 8.5ish size would benefit the Formula board, since its wide and long long fin

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your situation for over a year after my 8.5 died. I sold the mast as it was an older sail that rigged on a 520 mast. I didn’t have a 490 mast so I was stuck at 7.3 with my 133 liter board at 165 lbs. My 7.3 is a 2010 Naish Sprint. My solution came in the form of the 2012 Naish Indy 8.2.

The Indy is only 2 cm taller than the Sprint, it has exactly the same boom length and the weight feels the same even with the 2 cams. I think the sail is so light because of all the x-ply. The Indy rigs on the same 460 mast as the Sprint so I didn’t have to buy another mast. The 8.2 planes much earlier than the 7.3 and is just as easy to jibe. The 7.3 obviously can be taken into higher winds and because it is an RAF sail Heli-tacks, Push-tacks & upwind 360’s are far easier.

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Indy is one of the sails I found while looking that rigs on a 460, I would hope that the cams have been developed some since 6--8years ago .

I had a Sprint 7.4 and it was pretty nice.

Do you think the Indy 8.2m would be ok on a Powerex SDM 100% ?

coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Indy rigs perfectly with a CC mast of 11%, Gulftech mast. I checked with Naish before buying to make sure it was a sail made for CC mast so it depends on the bend of your Powerex. Yes, the cams have come a longgggggg way from 8 years ago, especially the Naish cams with the rollers on the outside. Cams rotate easily, no poping required.

Good luck finding one though. I got the very last one from their North America distributer.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your size board,an 8.5 sail is a good addition. Don't rush to get one though, it will not make a huge difference . Research freeride sails with low end bias and wait for a bargain. You'll need to look for the lightest models / read- monofilm and hollow battens / , becouse the lighter and bigger/ wider your kit, the earlier you'll plane.
I replaced my 7.5 Infinity with an 8.5 with 3 cambers from different maker and didn't gain much in the low end. The gain was tremendous ind the upper end though, just unbelievable how stable those multy cambered are, all about controll.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to my calculator, switching from 7.5 to 8.5 will move your planing threshold from 12.6 knots to 11.1 knots- a 1.5 knot difference.

The calculator doesn't factor in board size, but I would say a board that is at its max range with an 8.5 (i.e., your rocket 135) won't get quite the full 1.5 knot benefit. It might only get a 1.0 knot benefit.

On the other hand, a board that has lots of big sail carrying ability (i.e., your formula board) might get even more than the 1.5 knot benefit. It might get a 2.0 knot benefit, letting you plane in 10.6 knots if you pump.

The 8.5 would also feel smaller and more manageable on your formula board, and you'll be able to stay planing and go upwind and downwind better, so I would be inclined to get your formula board back from Maine.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
According to my calculator, switching from 7.5 to 8.5 will move your planing threshold from 12.6 knots to 11.1 knots- a 1.5 knot difference.

The calculator doesn't factor in board size, but I would say a board that is at its max range with an 8.5 (i.e., your rocket 135) won't get quite the full 1.5 knot benefit. It might only get a 1.0 knot benefit.

On the other hand, a board that has lots of big sail carrying ability (i.e., your formula board) might get even more than the 1.5 knot benefit. It might get a 2.0 knot benefit, letting you plane in 10.6 knots if you pump.

The 8.5 would also feel smaller and more manageable on your formula board, and you'll be able to stay planing and go upwind and downwind better, so I would be inclined to get your formula board back from Maine.

Thanks for reading everything, your reply makes a lot of sense.
\you are correct that the Rocket shows a 8.5m as max, I would say at my weight I can go larger, 8.5ish right now is a ? mark yet, mostly a dollar VS return issue.

The Formula board makes the most sense to go with a larger sail.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: