myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shopping carts at Haskins are gone!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmarik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Shopping carts at Haskins are gone! Reply with quote

Big thanks to the amphibians who removed all the submerged shopping carts from Haskins.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not amphibians... it was a pack of dawgs
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we had a great time. Dozens of passer bys thanked us for doing a great job on Earth Day. Little did they know we were doing this for a very selfish reason….saving our fragile bodies from injury.

Here’s a summary of the happenings:

First we got the three furthest downwind carts. These were tied to each other and came out without much hassle. We drove down the path pulling them West past the normal launch point till they were high and dry.

Then we decided to get the remaining five that were close to the tire. It was decided to pull these to the North from the parking lot as was done several weeks ago. There were several rope failures during this attempt to pull five carts. After doubling up some lines they relented and were removed.

So, the tally for full operation is 12 shopping carts! What a haul! I had no idea there were that many carts lurking in the depths.

Haskins is now safe for us wannabe freestylers that miss most of our moves. Give a big thank you to the organizers of this task, Brad, Alex, and Sergey the next time you see them.

I only took a few pix as my hands were muddy most of the time. I didn't get pix of the downwind carts but you can see their removal skid marks in one of the pix. You can also make out what is left of the first extraction skid mark from several weeks ago. Alex may post some better pix.

[img] [/img]
jmarik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job. When I saw the first track couple weeks ago I thought kitesurfers had to tow their broken jetski from the mud or turtles were laying eggs on the parking lot. But when I found the shopping carts on the shore this week and the tire still in the mud it was quite obvious what was the intention. Happy Earth Day.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering.....
Is there still a block of dirt on the East side of Haskins, where they just seem to move dirt around for no reason? We used to practice there a couple times a week, making windy sand tracks with huge berms and one long fast straightway.
I sailed FlyingTigers from '83 thru '86, maybe logging in 200 days there.
The sailing cove was discovered by JohnChilds, who launched with us from OysterPoint, Oct 1983. The other guys were GlenShot (Harbormaster at OP, ColinGift, and me.
jmarik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two biotech buildings were erected on the East side of the cove in 2007-8 but they have been mostly unoccupied. They also beautified the area a little providing well maintained grassy rigging area. Not bad for a hellhole like Haskins.

Last edited by jmarik on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
chophop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Haskins the same place as the old Flying Tigers?
I remember sailing there about 1987; I think we accessed it off of the North Access Road.

How do you access Haskins?

Best on SW wind and high tide? Question
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Haskins is the (new?) launch spot for Flying Tigers. It's been that way for probably seven or eight years now. Don't quote me on that as I never sailed it when it was Flying Tigers and don't know when they closed access.

Parking is at the end of Haskins Way off of E Grand Ave. We were able to use the empty Bio-Tech building parking lot until recently. It is occupied now and tow-away signs now grace the entrance to the parking lots. Several sailors have been hassled about parking in the lot also.

One needs about a 3' or more Coyote Point tide to sail there.

Don't venture very far upwind of the tire as there are additional shopping carts that weren't removed. A low tide view of the site would be prudent.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashkins is pretty nice with the landscaping and parking lot from the new office bldgs.

nicer still w/o shopping carts.

soon it will be world class. eat your heart out, crissy filed
sail-n-ski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys school me on this? I'm used to seeing ALL forms of debris in So. Cal. waters but wonder why there'd be shopping carts? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: