myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How Fast Wavesailing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of my surfing career, like 1985, they started the "tow-in" idea. Those boards are much faster than 9-10' full gun boards, because the rocker is much flatter, the tail rails harder, the boards much narrower, and of course, much shorter, not needing any paddling whatsoever. Those boards, like seen tow'd in at Jaws, might hit 30+ speeds pretty easily, if need be. Notice in videos they drop in much faster than paddle in surfboards. They started out really heavy, in the lowest 20's, and gradually got lighter to what is now close to state of the art 13-16 lbs weights, similar to our slalom/freeride boards.
Ever ride a slalom board in real waves? It's scary how fast you can go and use the wave as a reference marker. You gotta constantly slow down, sheet out, turn much sharper than normal, to stay on a wave.....of almost any size up to around 10'.
They don't ride slalom boards in big waves because the boards cannot handle the chop, nor can they handle the pushtrus when caught inside.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Wavesailing Speed Reply with quote

With wave sailing down-the-line, the board and sailor are going diagonally down the wave, not straight with the wave, and therefore their speed is significantly greater than the wave speed. And then when you take into account the serpentine path that a DTL wavesailor makes it is even a greater distance. The rocketing into the air down the line (in the film) demonstrates that as one would get no where near that kind of launch if just going in the waves same direction.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt in the Cape Verde vid Kauli is rippin. Is that the best wavesailing spot on earth? The only other video I've seen like it is Robbie sailing Lanes on a huge Kona day. I have no idea what speeds they would hit. I did see Laird tow in at Jaws from up on the hill. He caught it in the usual entry area and then went left all the way across, straight, seemingly as fast as one can go. We all heald our breaths, not at all sure he would make it, he did but he was absolutely flying. If the source I read is correct that Jaws breaks at 35 MPH, then this wave might be moving toward the beach at, say, 25 MPH and he is moving DTL at high speed then, like apparent wind, you'd be working with vectors. I think I'm getting a headache, where's Isobars when we need him? Same with Laird's run.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A look at the boards can give a clue.
Usually right around 6', 4" plus or minus, usually around 15-17" wide, full rocker no flats, panel V out the back from double concaves, around 3" thick and getting lighter in weight down near 14 lbs.
A boat can plane the board and rider up around 12mph slogging. At that size, with a 190lbs rider, maybe around 20 mph speed is needed just to plane. The board should handle up to 40 mph without topping out, providing the water is smooth. The water is not smooth, so drop that a bit.
Remember, full rocker for control. So top speed will be limited, like wave boards.
And when going dtl (down the line), only 2/3rds of the board is wetted surface, as the inside rails do dig in some, the water travels over part of the middle thru tail of the board, so drag is lessenned a bit from the initial drop in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: