myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner board recommendations - 215lbs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunchbox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Beginner board recommendations - 215lbs Reply with quote

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm an absolute beginner when it comes to windsurfing.

I currently surf, SUP and kitesurf and thought I'd try windsurfing. My buddy was selling his gear so I thought this would be as good of a time as any.

Unfortunately, I think most of the stuff is circa 80-90's. The board is a Fantatic Lite BAT (160L I think). One sail is a 6.3 Neil Pryde. The other one is a 5.4, not sure what manufactor.

I'm 6'4" and weigh about 215lbs.

...so my buddy and I went to a lake last weekend (wind was blowing anywhere from 5-15mph). I spend about 5 hours trying to get up on the board and uphaul the sail....but kept falling down before I could position the mast and go. I think I had one ride that lasted about 10ft. I had heard windsurfing was hard, but I didn't think I wouldn't be able to go at all! I like to think I'm pretty coordinated Smile

I did some research and I think that board is definitely too small for me. If memory serves correct, it's about 10'6" long, 25.5 inches wide and 5-6in thick.

I am thinking about purchasing a JP Funster 205 (2012 model) but am worried that it might not have enough volume for me. I'm also concerned about the length, being that it's not even 7ft long. At the same time though, I don't want to outgrow this board too quickly. I want the stability for the uphaul but don't want it to be a slug neither. I'd like to be able to plan and jibe on it eventually.

Would this be a good board for me? I would mainly ride it in the lake with the conditions mentioned above. Once I got better, I would like to try it in the ocean since it is so much closer to my house.

I was also thinking about the Starboard Rio L but I like the price point of the JP better.

If there are any other boards out there that would be better for me I would love to hear about them. Also, if anyone has any used boards that might work for me as well, please let me know...I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks!

BTW, it seems like people really keep these boards, because I can't find any of these boards for sale in the typical places (craigslist, ebay, etc). I'm in the Los Angeles area btw.

Thanks.

Pete
Bluejaytoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait; you're a kiteboarder, wanting to learn windsurfing? They DO exist!

Personally, I would think a Funster would be a nice board to get you going, assuming you're in a light-wind area. Here in western PA, we spend most of our time on boards like that (mine a Fanatic Viper, my fiancee's a Mistral N.Trance). I think a Starboard Go would also be good for you. I just saw a really clean N.Trance go dirt cheap on eBay, but it was in Illinois. If you watch for them, they do show up.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funster would be a good size, dont worry about length at all, what you need is width and volume. If you SUP maybe you have one with a hole to thread in a windsurfing rig? That would be perfect.
lunchbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@bluejaytoo - Yeah, there might be a few of us out there Smile'. But man, you should have seen some of the posts I received on one of the kite forums I belong to when I mentioned I was going to try windsurfing....you would have thought I killed someone's cat! I myself don't understand the hate...it's all about the love of the wind. Some of the spots around here are just open to windsurf and my son who has never expressed a desire to kite, wants to try windsurfing at the lake with me. That to me is worth the money I'll spend buying the board even if I don't end up liking windsurfing (which I doubt).

@mchaco1 - I have a Starboard Hero (9'L, 33"W) as my SUP. I was almost going to buy the one with the Windsurf attachment but didn't. If I remember correctly, it would have been $100-300 more I think (and didn't want to spend the extra money)....kinda regretting that decision now...haha.
Good to know about the length...thanks!
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can trade that one in for one with the attachment point thats probably your best bet, then youll have your SUP and a good beginner board and wont need anything extra. The funster is fine but you will out grow it in a few months.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay a board repair guy $100 to put a mast track on one of your SUPs.
I believe a SUP make great beginner board, it did for me!
The tail rocker will eventually be a hindrance when you start to get going really fast but that's far down the road.
And it will always be a useful lightwind wave board for you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give you a good start and also suit your long term needs, particularly for a big guy in Southern California, I think that the Exocet Kona One would be great choice. It has a daggerboard, so it would give you the kind of directional ability and stability in light wind you need when starting the sport.

Now, there's the other side of the picture that promotes very short, wide and high volume boards to accomplish the task of learning. Not a bad choice, but if you go with the boards that have a daggerboard, you might outgrow them quickly. One of the higher end designs without a daggerboard could be a good long term choice, but it wouldn't be easy, and the board may not do well with the punishment associated with learning.

The Kona One, being a bit narrower and longer, could be a bit more challenging at first, but I think that it would be better choice over the long haul, particularly for a big guy. The Kona One does it all, including handling quite well in a surf environment.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short and wide is a very valid way to learn. I'm fairly old school and feel that a longboard with a centerboard is a better tool to learn how to "sail".

The longboard with cb will go upwind much better and makes sailing inland lakes with limited access easier to work with

As you and your son learn had a short board. Pic a volume that will keep you afloat once the wind starts to die. As mentioned the kona one is one of the better bets these days.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rule of thumb for beginner boards is bigger-is-better: You want at least as much volume in liters as you have weight in pounds.

The Fanatic Bat is way too small, but the Funster 205 should be close enough.

A cheaper option would be like beaglebuddy said- Have a repair guy put a mast track in your SUP. It won't be as easy to stay upwind on as the Funster because it won't have a daggerboard, but it will still be easier than the Bat. Mast track should go slightly in front of where your toes are when you're paddling.

Rule of thumb for beginner sails is smaller-is-better. I would use the 5.4 until you've got the hang of it enough that you're ready for more power.

Good luck!

capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete
I have a large beginners board you can borrow (Hifly Motion) ~215 L so plenty big enough. I'm in Los Angeles too. Send me a PM if you want to borrow it.
Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: