myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mounting trifins
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: mounting trifins Reply with quote

Quick question...I have a trifin with asymmetrical thrusters. Should I mount the thrusters flat sides in or flat sides out?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flats in. i've come to realize that the waves have to be rather steep and fast breaking to want to use multi-fins, but that's me. more for side off conditions. i need instantaneous top speeds, and great upwind power in most of my wave spots. onshore conditions have a following current that take away early planing and top end, so do multi's. bad combo in my experience.

the number of side off dayz i get are few, but when it does happen, i typically try to use a smaller single fin on a larger board to overcome the gusty nature of the wind bouncing off the dunes, and condo's.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flats inside

it has to do with the water flow mostly in turns.

May work the other way( would think not very well) but to me would be the same as hammering in a nail with the wrong end of the hammer.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
flats in. i've come to realize that the waves have to be rather steep and fast breaking to want to use multi-fins, but that's me. more for side off conditions. i need instantaneous top speeds, and great upwind power in most of my wave spots. onshore conditions have a following current that take away early planing and top end, so do multi's. bad combo in my experience.

the number of side off dayz i get are few, but when it does happen, i typically try to use a smaller single fin on a larger board to overcome the gusty nature of the wind bouncing off the dunes, and condo's.

Is all side shore here,a little bit side on, but I'll mostly use it in the gorge anyway.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or both of us is confused about your last sentence, Chaco. The Gorge is all "onshore", meaning the swell is created by and travels with the wind. Some (by no means all) types and makes of multi-finned boards offer plenty of advantages here for many (by no means all) sailors in many (by no means all) conditions for many (by no means all) objectives. Like everything else in the sport, there are pros and cons for virtually every option.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
One or both of us is confused about your last sentence, Chaco. The Gorge is all "onshore", meaning the swell is created by and travels with the wind. Some (by no means all) types and makes of multi-finned boards offer plenty of advantages here for many (by no means all) sailors in many (by no means all) conditions for many (by no means all) objectives. Like everything else in the sport, there are pros and cons for virtually every option.

I was talking about the coast with the shoreness. I mainly want to use the board because its a poly board and it has the trifins, so might as well try that out too.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
I was talking about the coast with the shoreness.

That's what I thought. Ingerbritsen's comments used "onshore" in the conventional wave-sailing sense in which all Gorge winds are "onshore" ... wind and bumps traveling in the same direction.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries mchaco, I understood what you meant. The wind is sideshore to your normal launches. isobars likes to think that swells in the Gorge are like surf, so you might say he is a bit confused at times.

I'm in agreement that the thrusters should be oriented so that the flat sides are in.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
No worries mchaco, I understood what you meant. The wind is sideshore to your normal launches. isobars likes to think that swells are like surf, so you might say he is a bit confused at times.

I'm in agreement that the thrusters should be oriented so that the flat sides are in

I just meant the oregon coast is usually sideshore Laughing But I probably would have refered to the gorge as sideshore too since thats how I thought about it at the lake where I first started.
Sounds like flats in is the way to go, at first I was thinking flats out like a hobie cat, but hobie cats dont bank, and if the outside fin is popping out of the water the inside fin should probably be flat in...anyways ill try it out this weekend and might even see how it does as a surfboard on the coast Very Happy
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, flat in for the holding power and what you pivot off of on your turns. For severe downwind current, some sailors use bigger inside side fins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: